Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2000 Navigator 5.4 DOHC problems,long

:headbang: I have a 2000 Navigator 5.4 DOHC AWD that has been giving me a serious headache. I bought this truck to save it from it’s previous owner and the bone yard.
The previous owner was driving the truck to the store, about 5 miles from his home, and it started running poorly, then badly and finally just quit.
He says there was no overheating or strange noises like engine knocks, etc..
It just died, he said.
He had someone who apparently had no or little experience at all start taking the engine apart, they started by attempting to remove the rt. Valve cover. Destroying all 4 COPs in the process and disconnecting almost everything on the pass. side of the engine, then the mechanic told him the cam chain was broken and that’s where they stopped. There is no evidence of a broken cam chain and we did turn the engine over by hand before purchase, it has compression.
I bought the truck because it was a good deal, brought it home and started working on it. Since getting it we have reinstalled the valve cover and replaced all 4 COPs, reconnected all the various plugs and wires and vacuum lines as well as the heater and radiator hoses. Changed the oil and filter, cut the filter open and found no evidence of bearing flakes or metal of any kind. We then tried to start the engine. It backfired mildly a couple of times and sputtered to life for a few seconds and quit. This has happened several times.
Since the initial start up we have inspected or replaced the IAC, TPS, cam position sensor, fuel filter and the fuel pump does engage/pump. We have even tried another ECM/PCM all to no avail.. In addition there are no codes showing either hard or temporary.
If any of you have had a similar experience I would really appreciate your input. I’m ready to try almost anything at this point.
Sorry for the very long post and thanks for any help you may give.

Last edited by a moderator:

emtzach

i get paid to do this
does any one recall if this truck has the 4 on 4 off for highway gas milage. My train of thought is that its trying to run on 4 and thats why its spuddering and shutting off. also desribes the original loss of power and eventuall death. also thinking stuck open egr valve for stalling spuddering problems, But I cant remember the specifics of this truck....... maybe someone else will have specifics

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
This is a Vince question.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The first thing necessary is to properly time it. Its quite involved as well. There are special tools needed for this job. If not done properly, engine damage will occur. Its not a free wheeling engine.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
The first thing necessary is to properly time it. Its quite involved as well. There are special tools needed for this job. If not done properly, engine damage will occur. Its not a free wheeling engine.

Could you please elaborate a little Vince? This sound like it could be similar to the problem my daughter's '97 5.4 exhibited.

What damage can occur? What do you mean by it not being a free wheeling engine? If this is all outlined in a repair manual, I'll be picking one up very soon.
Thanks - Tim

blacksnapon

Staff member
Not freewheeling means that when the pistons are at TDC and the valves are open, they will contact, usually bending or breaking the valve. The special tools hold the crankshaft at a predetermined spot, and another tool holds the camshaft at a particular spot. Then you install the chain. Then repeat for the other head.

It's been a long time since starting this thread but here's the end result.
The engine that was im the Navigator did have a broken intake cam chain and as I knew that it is an interference engine I started searching for another engine. I bought a used engine from LKQ and got it in. It was a lot of work but well worth it. The 'gator runs and rides sweet and far exceeds my expectations. It has all that I could possibly want in a Luxo-Barge Truck. No TV-DVD or navigation but that suits me just fine. I have navigation on my cel phone and I prefer maps anyway.
So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Happy Holidays all.:flag:

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
It's been a long time since starting this thread but here's the end result.
The engine that was im the Navigator did have a broken intake cam chain and as I knew that it is an interference engine I started searching for another engine. I bought a used engine from LKQ and got it in. It was a lot of work but well worth it. The 'gator runs and rides sweet and far exceeds my expectations. It has all that I could possibly want in a Luxo-Barge Truck. No TV-DVD or navigation but that suits me just fine. I have navigation on my cel phone and I prefer maps anyway.
So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Happy Holidays all.:flag:

Do you still have the old motor?? I may be willing to take it off your hands!

1998 Ford Expedition 4X4 Project - $2000 (VB 23452)

I have the original 5.4 DOHC that I had to pay a hefty core charge on and I would sell it, I was going to pull the heads and replace the valves, chains and guides. It only broke the intake chain on side 1. I think it only has 2 bent valves at most.I just listed this one on C/L;

1998 Ford Expedition 4X4 Project - $2000 (VB 23452)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-01-12, 2:48PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Ford Expedition 4X4 Project $2000.00

90% finished with a 4.6 DOHC engine from a 98 Lincoln Mark VIII
This was a “Take Out” engine that I bought from a dealership in Miami with less than 1,000 miles on it.
Very nice Black body and Camel interior.
Great transmission and transfercase.
Excellent tires all the way around.

The engine is in the truck and the new owner only has to finish bolting it in and wire it up.
The exhaust has to be done by an experienced pro or a muffler shop.
It has a pair of good manifolds that go with it and they should work fine.

I have a clear title in hand and am ready to sell as I have too many projects that need finishing.
No Trades will be considered, I have way more money in this project than I’m asking for but it has to go.

Pics are available by email.
Contact Mel at 757.593.2105 or email; [email protected]

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2156985477

Copyright © 2011 craigslist, inc.terms of useprivacy policyfeedback forum

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts