Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HMMMMMMM, might be related to squealing

blacksnapon

Staff member
TSB
09-13-12 GRABBING CONDITION FROM REAR DRUM BRAKES

Publication Date: June 29, 2009

FORD: 2002-2009 Ranger

This article supersedes TSB 8-6-7 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2009 Ranger vehicles may exhibit a grabbing condition from the rear brakes during the first few brake applications. The condition only occurs after the vehicle has been parked for several hours.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

To service, reduce/minimize moisture intrusion into the rear drum brake assemblies by applying Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and Sealant to the brake backing plate.

Place vehicle on hoist and remove the rear wheels.
Remove the rear brake drums and replace the rear linings. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-02.
WARNING: Do not breathe dust or use compressed air to blow dust from storage containers or friction components. Remove dust using government-approved techniques. Friction component dust may be a cancer and lung disease hazard. Exposure to potentially hazardous components may occur if dusts are created during repair of friction components, such as brake pads and clutch discs. Exposure may also cause irritation to skin, eyes and respiratory tract, and may cause allergic reactions and/or may lead to other chronic health effects. If irritation persists, seek medical attention or advice. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury.

Inspect the rear brake assemblies for damaged, missing and/or improperly seated adjuster plug or parking brake cable.
Inspect and clean the lining contact area of the brake drum; machine if necessary.
Install the rear brake drums and adjust the lining to drum clearance per WSM, Section 206-02.
Thoroughly clean the backside of the rear drum brake backing plate to promote proper adhesion of sealant.
Apply Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and Sealant to the backside of the rear drum brake backing plate at the following interface areas (Figure 1):
Axle Flange
Wheel Cylinder
Parking Brake Cable
Hold Down Pins

Figure 1 - Article 09-13-12

NOTE: AVOID GETTING SEALANT ON THE BRAKE BLEED SCREW AND BRAKE TUBE NUT.

Install the rear wheels and torque lug nuts per WSM, Section 204-04.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
3L5Z-2200-CA Brake Shoes 9" (2003-2009 )
3L5Z-2200-DA Brake Shoes 10" (2003-2009 )
2U2Z-2V200-MARM Brake Shoes 9" (2002)
F77Z-2200-BA Brake Shoes 10" (2002)
TA-30 Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket And Sealant

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Hmmm....

My '97 has brake grabbing issues under certain conditions. Wonder why they're only listing back to '02 on the TSB- change in brakes, that affects the cause/solution to this issue, or something else, where they're just not interested in dealing with trucks older than that.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So...tried to get this looked at last time I got my oil changed. 4500 miles now, and the rear brakes still squeal coming down the hill out of work every single day.

I was told:
-Your truck already has that fix installed on it from the factory (August '09 build, 2009 model-year). On re-reading the slip, though, under that item the tech mentions that OASIS was down...is that used to look up TSBs, too? 'Cause if so, they told a little fib when they gave me back my keys.

-We can't do anything about the grabbing/sticking e-brake unless we experience it.

I was tired and felt crappy, so I didn't press the point...but this is not an uncommon issue on Rangers...and leaving it there overnight during a heavy rainstorm is more than slightly inconvenient.

Thoughts from the techs?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts