Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

97 f-150 esof 4x4 help

I am working on a 97 F-150 4.6 auto super cab 4x4 off road with esof. The problem is that the transfer case will drop into neutral and quit responding and make a bunch of clicking from the dash when you try to switch from 2hi to 4hi and does nothing when trying to go to 4 low. The only way to get it to try to shift is to flip the 4x4 swith and then turn the key on then it will shift but will not shift back or will drop into neutral with a horrible grinding. I pulled the shift motor and had someone flip the switch and watched the motor shift from 2hi to 4hi then begin going back and forth and stop between 4hi and 4 low when the clicks happen is when the motor starts moving or changes direction. I assumed that the motor was faulty figuring that the sensor plates were corroded, I went and bought a new one, only to find the same problem. I also took the switch out and stuck it in my 2001 f-150 and it worked fine their. I am guessing that a module or a relay has failed or a wire has shorted I am looking for the best place to start. This problem happened after the truck sat unused for about 3 months. I am looking for any ideas or help.

Thanks in advance,
Denis

blacksnapon

Staff member
does your brakelights work? (It wont shift until you apply the brakes)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts