Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mom's rig

Hello all, hope somebody can help. We are working on a 2001 F250 super duty. The issue we are having is the truck died at the store parking lot as momma was looking for a parking spot. She tried repeatedly to start again but no luck. It turns over fine as we had just replaced the batteries this summer. When I got there a short time later, the truck fired right up as usual. Then on the way home, same thing, truck died again. As before, it cranks great, just no start. So after some head scratching we just looked at it, dumbfoundedly with no idea what to do. Then after supper I decided to try it again. It again fired right up but after letting it run for a while it died and would crank over but wouldnt start. If anybody has any suggestions I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks Fanatics.
Rob and Marie.

Check your gas tank. Something may be in there that gets sucked to the pick up tube and cuts off the fuel flow. Once the truck is shut off the suction is released and whatever it is floats away.

Dropping the fuel tank is somewhat time consuming, but not overly difficult. Unless it's full.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Is it a diesel or gaspot?

Check your gas tank. Something may be in there that gets sucked to the pick up tube and cuts off the fuel flow. Once the truck is shut off the suction is released and whatever it is floats away.

Dropping the fuel tank is somewhat time consuming, but not overly difficult. Unless it's full.

Ok getting used to this thread thing. Thanks for the tip. Do you know if there is a drain in the tank so I wouldnt have to remove it?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You should have a poly tank...it would be unusual for something to be blocking the pick-up....do what Don said first with the water seperator and fuel filter.

I haven't seen a gas tank drain on anything smaller than a Class 6 truck in a long time.

How full is your gas tank? The tank itself weighs next to nothing. The diesel inside will weigh roughly 7 pounds per gallon.

This happened to a truck I had. Piece of plastic inside the tank flaked off.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Wouldn't a person want to check other things first before dropping a fuel tank?.

The priest is right. Definetely an unusual occurance. Your symptoms matched what happened to me, so if the fuel filter and seperator don't fix it you're not out of ideas yet.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Not saying that it couldn't be the tank...just that common sense would dictate that other things were eliminated first.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes, poly tank. Fuel filter and water seperator are in the same housing on top of the motor, right?

Yes....and there are some Ford Certified Techs here....I'm sure they will chime in.

In all fairness it did cost me a lot of money in dealer diagnostic time to reach the conclusion that the fuel tank was bad.

When your rig is out of warranty and the dealer shop rate is $105/hour any knowledge you gain from that experience is worth its weight in gold.

At least that's the optimistic spin I put upon the experience.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes please chime away. Last time we had it in to the dealer I had to sell a kidney to get it back

You might want to mention your problem in the Ford Certified Tech forum pointing to this thread.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts