Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cold Starting....Or NOT Starting!!

MikeStoke

Army Firefighter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all and merry Christmas... I have been having a problem starting my truck for the last 3 or 4 weeks, doesnt matter the tempature. It turns over starts runs for 2 or 3 sec. then dies.? It will do this for 5 min, of trying to start. I cycle the glow plugs before each crank, I have pulled the EGR valve and cleaned it. I double treat every tank with diesle clean.( EGR was pretty clean, just a coat of soot that wiped off). I have changed my fuel filters. But heres the catch....If I plug it in, it starts right up?? So is it a glow plug issue? Keep in mind it doesnt matter if its 20 or 40 out..?? Thanks for your knowledge. Mike

blacksnapon

Staff member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all and merry Christmas... I have been having a problem starting my truck for the last 3 or 4 weeks, doesnt matter the tempature. It turns over starts runs for 2 or 3 sec. then dies.? It will do this for 5 min, of trying to start. I cycle the glow plugs before each crank, I have pulled the EGR valve and cleaned it. I double treat every tank with diesle clean.( EGR was pretty clean, just a coat of soot that wiped off). I have changed my fuel filters. But heres the catch....If I plug it in, it starts right up?? So is it a glow plug issue? Keep in mind it doesnt matter if its 20 or 40 out..?? Thanks for your knowledge. Mike
Yeah, I'd be looking glow plugs or controller. Doesn't matter if its -20 or 90, still need heat in the cylinders to start initially.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts