Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Yo ducan!!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I need your expertise, spelled that wrong, Hmm...
any ways!
I'm installing that new pump and really dont want to fry this one.
the instructions say use a minimum of a 14g wire, the wires on the pump smaller then a 14 and wire on the relay kit is 12g soo...
what should I do???

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Tex, if I was doing it, I would run the power to the pump using 12 gauge. Butt splice the wires together and use heat shrink over top of the butt splices that have an environmental seal....where the small wires come out of the fuel pump, strip them about 3/4'' long and fold it back halfway to give you a thicker conductor where it fits into the 12 gauge butt splice. Make damn sure that the butt splices are tight!
I also would use 16 gauge for the relay control wiring.

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Kick ***, thank you Duncan,
This is the hot wire going to the pump (Purple) and the power wire to the pump.
PC190060.jpg

I'm pretty sure those are different sizes, or would it thicker insulation? the pump all ready has butt connectors installed on.. I didn't want to cut the factory one off because it all most looks like its soldered and not crimped...

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I also assume that you are running the wires in split loom or other protective sleeving?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I didn't see your comments at the bottom of the page...the wires are most likely 2 different gauge sizes....are the ones that come out of the fuel pump barrels or spades?..can you post a pic of the fuel pump connectors?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Personally, I would discard those and use straight barrel butt splices, once you put the heat shrink with the sealant over it, you won't be removing it readily anyway. You could use those connectors and get the female side for the other wires and tape them well....but you want to make sure that no moisture can get in the connectors and that there is no chance of movement within the connectors.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts