Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2011 Ford Explorer

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
But I wonder how it will be for reliability in the long run... Not saying it is junk, just curious. The 302 had a pretty good record...

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Yep- be interesting. Of course, one thing that's pretty consistent on all the new vehicles- 200,000 miles with few problems is a pretty reasonable expectation across the board.

Yuck...

(Hi E!)

I'll take the body on frame truck looking model over some made over Taurus Station Wagon crossover look. Unibody? For real?

Damn....

I guess I'll buy two early models when I can, stash one for a spare.

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Yuck...

(Hi E!)

I'll take the body on frame truck looking model over some made over Taurus Station Wagon crossover look. Unibody? For real?

Damn....

I guess I'll buy two early models when I can, stash one for a spare.

Hey James! :wavey: What'd the old one put down? I know you got a gazillion miles out of it.

Hey James! :wavey: What'd the old one put down? I know you got a gazillion miles out of it.

374k. No chit!

Well, body and trans. The wife (it's daily pilot) ran the thing in 4WH on dry pavement (after a stern lecture about the danger of damage from doing that) and I had to put in a used xfer case. The timing chain issue with these units running the 4.0 took out the engine while I was driving in OH on the highway....at 140k.

So, otherwise, brakes on front twice, rears once, four sets of tires and the above mentioned. Oh, I had just changed the alternator three weeks before the accident.

It wasn't a cheap vehicle with payment and repairs, but I loved it anyway. So did she....

We bought a used '97 Blazer (I know...I know) with the insurance proceeds and eliminated the payment, only had 6 left. Saving and wanting a 2000 or '01 four door XLT in the same vehicle. I've found a few in the Chi Town area for under 7K with under 40k on the clock, but still not in reach.

I'll be paying cash....so I'm not shopping anymore 'till I have at least 6.5k in the bank ready to roll. :)

front1.jpg

front2.jpg

side1.jpg

sad-to-lose-her.jpg

Just remembered, hub bearings on both sides (once) and the front "prop shaft" (drive shaft) with U joint. Heck, never even needed headlights or even a serpentine belt! I did all the little to medium things myself. (I can do brakes with one hand tied behind my back) but the engine and xfer case were done in a shop.

BTW? Nice hangout!

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts