Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

has anyone else heard bout this flaw?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
i was talking to a friend bout his new 09 F150 and i asked if he had notice any flaws he said yeah a pretty big one also. the right rear tire sticks out bout 3/4's of an inch further than the left rear. i looked and he wasnt kidding it was really noticable. he said he took it to the dealership and said they couldnt do anything cause Ford hasnt recognized it as an issue yet. so has anyone else heard bout this issue? i was just wondering if it was common or not.

Perhaps its a factory offset to keep all the bearing caps/needle's in the universal joint moving...

The way you describe it sounds like the offset is major, but 3/4" wouldn't be that noticeable. An alignment shop should make sure the front and rear wheels are tracking properly. Does the truck "dog tail" when he drives it (rear end pulls to a side?)

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Perhaps its a factory offset to keep all the bearing caps/needle's in the universal joint moving...

The way you describe it sounds like the offset is major, but 3/4" wouldn't be that noticeable. An alignment shop should make sure the front and rear wheels are tracking properly. Does the truck "dog tail" when he drives it (rear end pulls to a side?)
no it drives just fine. and on some other forums i was looking this up and it appears it is very very widespread. one guy had his truck at the ford dealership and Ford sent out someone and he realigned the bed and that made the truck look like it was dog tailing. and lots of other people are taking there trucks to dealerships and they are saying nothing is wrong with the truck. its insane. sounds like a HUGE!! design screw up.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
its insane. sounds like a HUGE!! design screw up.

Why?

Assuming everything else lines up right, what's it matter if the rear axle is slightly offset?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Think about the dynamics of the suspension, how it moves and flexes. The springs are mounted with bolts and bushings. The springs will torque and flex with the loads that change as the terrain changes. 3/4 to an inch side to side movement wouldnt be unusual. The movement has to be in there because if it were tighter, squeaks, rattles, and excessive wear would happen. All of the manufacturers build in this "flaw". Ever follow behind a Chevvy pickup with the bed lower on one side than the other? Because the Ford's frame is so much stiffer, it needs more of this movement to soften the ride. It wont cause any undue problems.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Think about the dynamics of the suspension, how it moves and flexes. The springs are mounted with bolts and bushings. The springs will torque and flex with the loads that change as the terrain changes. 3/4 to an inch side to side movement wouldnt be unusual. The movement has to be in there because if it were tighter, squeaks, rattles, and excessive wear would happen. All of the manufacturers build in this "flaw". Ever follow behind a Chevvy pickup with the bed lower on one side than the other? Because the Ford's frame is so much stiffer, it needs more of this movement to soften the ride. It wont cause any undue problems.

We had one Suburban where the left side was about 1/4" higher than the right. Really noticed it because it had barn doors. Same story- Chevy rep even looked at it "normal." If it doesn't affect the reliability or driveability, and falls within factory norms, it's not even considered a flaw.

Think back on that other horrible flaw in the '04 and '05's- the dreaded "bed shake." Never mind that it's normal, had lotsa owners up in arms,

emtzach

i get paid to do this
Think back on that other horrible flaw in the '04 and '05's- the dreaded "bed shake." Never mind that it's normal, had lotsa owners up in arms,[/QUOTE]

my 05 did that bad especially on I5 near the dome in tacoma concrete slabs of road:rotz:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts