Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Explorer Intake

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Would there be any benefit in swapping a truck factory intake set for a 94 Cobra Lower and explorer upper with a 65MM Throttle body? If so, what part of the power band would be affected and would it be in a negative or positive way?Thanks.....

emtzach

i get paid to do this
it should breath better of course, but im not sure if it may decline your off the line the stock truck manifold is set up more for tourque than rpms but did you just change gears? if so you should be golden see if you can find a chip as well maby bump the timing and run 93 lol

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
the explorer intake is also made for torque but i dont remember on the top of my head.. i think the runners are shorter then the Cobra intake.. for more torque

With stock heads it won't make a lot of difference, the GT40 intake is actually a bit smaller volume wise than the 5.0 truck intake so there is potential is could broaden the powerband slightly but it won't make a dramatic difference. A 5.0HO intake is much better suited to a motor with stock heads, and the difference in total runner length between all of these is insignificant too believe it or not, they're all with 1/2" of each other so adding an upper-to lower spacer would make up the difference.

Here's all three 5.0 intakes, left to right you have the 5.0HO, 5.0Truck, and Explorer/GT40.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motorstuff/3440707772/in/set-72157603961666458/

Last edited:
You should add some specs to your sig line...

Is the cam still stock and if so do you have any plans to change it anytime soon? If not I think the HO is still the way to go, with some port matching of the lower and a larger TB and EGR plate it will support around 300hp but will also produce a much broader TQ curve on this motor than either the GT40 or truck intake.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts