Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cold weather condensation

Hey guys,

Well... The cold weather has come, and snow is on the ground. YAY :rotz:

I've noticed a lot of condensation inside my engine lately. When the oil fill cap is removed, there is always a bunch of this greasy, creamy looking goop all over.

Now, I don't drive a lot, and I'm a student with the school near by, so I don't take to many long trips. I try to get the engine nice and warm everyday, but it doesn't see many miles.

Am I going to harm my engine much, I mean... I can't avoid the stuff, and the winter months are lonnnnng around here... I just hate seeing the stuff inside my precious 5.4 :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Be diligent about your oil changes...and you need to get the engine up to full operating temp.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Move south for the winter...problem solved. But as Duncan said, oil changes and burn off will be the ticket.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I don't think he's going to be able to get the engine up to running temps where he's at.Hell I can't even do thjat just starting my truck in tha garage in 40 * s

Should be able to Mark....sometimes a winter front is needed though.

Don't forget that when the cab starts to warm up , the condnsation starts to form in between the roof and the headliner and causes the the roof to rust at the drip rails.( a chevy person admitted to this )
Then it drips down and rusts out the cab corners
I'll bet you thought the cab corners rusted froim the outside

Should be able to Mark....sometimes a winter front is needed though.

Yea, I tried to get the truck up to temp today. Not gonna happen without some front cover. I know some guys just do the cardboard, but I want to do something half decent...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Don't forget that when the cab starts to warm up , the condnsation starts to form in between the roof and the headliner and causes the the roof to rust at the drip rails.( a chevy person admitted to this )
Then it drips down and rusts out the cab corners
I'll bet you thought the cab corners rusted froim the outside

Never knew that before...good tid bit of info.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yea, I tried to get the truck up to temp today. Not gonna happen without some front cover. I know some guys just do the cardboard, but I want to do something half decent...

The vinyl quilted ones work well.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Get a block heater or two I got a couple on my trucks and will never go back. 1 works ok but two does a better job and gives ya a warm heater.

How long do ya leave it plugged in for?

I don't have it plugged in all night... My dad is nice enough to plug it in before he leaves for work at 6:00AM... I leave for school at 10:00.. So... 4 hours or so.

If the dang school had somewhere for me to plug in, it would be all day.

Do they suck a lot of juice? I'd like to leave it plugged in all night.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If it is really a concern...bite the bullet and get an Espar or Webasto gas powered block heater....15000 btu....not cheap but fantastic.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
They dont use a ton I plug mine in all night and sometimes into the next day if I dont drive the truck that day. 4 hours aint really long enough for it to warm up the coolant all the way. I had two on my 76 and If I plugged that one in all night the motor would be warm enough to melt snow on the intake.

They dont use a ton I plug mine in all night and sometimes into the next day if I dont drive the truck that day. 4 hours aint really long enough for it to warm up the coolant all the way. I had two on my 76 and If I plugged that one in all night the motor would be warm enough to melt snow on the intake.

Really, they can get that warm?

Right on... I think I'm going to leave mine on all night.

Thanks for the help!

Ford Truck Articles