Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2000 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke: Bad fuel mileage

27badkaw

Jesse Witt
I have a 2000 Ford Powerstroke diesel. Its the 7.3L. Its getting horrible fuel mileage for some reason. Only 10mpg. I dont exactly drive like a 100 year old man but I dont just mash the pedal to the floor all of the time either. I always try and keep it under 3000 rpm. (It redlines at 3200...Ive never done that) The truck has 116000 miles. Its bone stock motor wise(except for exhaust). I plan on chipping it however. It has a four inch straight pipe from the downpipe back. I have three guages: Trans temp, pyrometer, and boost. Is there anything I can do to help my mileage without spending a ton of money? I am probably going to buy a Tony Wildman chip. Itll be $475 total. Im also looking into the TS six position chip. I am leaning towards the tony wildman chip though because I would like the smoke setting. What kind of mileage can I expect to improve by with the chip and what other halfway cheap modifications can I make to improve my mileage? Thanks for any help.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
First off, welcome to FTF! :wavey:

re: rpm's. It's a diesel- to drive for mileage, you upshift somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rpm (if it's a manual). automatics will upshift sooner than that if you don't have your foot buried in it. If you want to see any semblance of mileage out of the truck, you should never see the upside of 2500 rpm. Just sayin...

That straight pipe ain't doing you any gas mileage favor's either.

Big question- what size tires are you running? That's another thing that can have a huge impact on fuel mileage. I had a '06 F350 and averaged about 13 around town with it. (35's with a leveling kit)

Last edited:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Hey Jesse!! Welcome to the group! Be nice to Jesse ya'll. Met him last night at a car wash where he made my baby look REALLY nice again! Thanks for that Jesse!

Be patient and some others will post up too.

27badkaw

Jesse Witt
Thanks for the replies everyone. I know my tires probably arent helping me at all. It has 315-75-16's on it. It also has a 6" rough country lift. Its a pretty tall truck.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Hey bear, can you maybe move this to the 7.3 section for him?? Maybe more will see it there.

blacksnapon

Staff member
It amounts to looking over the basics. Are you leaking fuel? The tires definately dont help.Keeping your foot into it will eat fuel. With a 6" lift, its as aerodynamic as an upturned brick. Are the brakes dragging? Emergency brake cable hanging up? If you're not blowing black smoke out of the tailpipe, its unlikely that its engine related.

jasonz82

Certified Ford Tech
texas
running bio diesel will also lower fuel mileage as it contains less energy to release as the same amount of regular diesel, you also might look into using a cetane boost like the motorcraft cetane boost.

BIGRED911

Charter Member
i put the ts chip in big red and well toddly can tell ya you dont need the smoke tune lol..stage 6 will roll coal..and id do the 6637 air filter/intake mod and close the waste gate off...had mine chained shut...you can just unhook the spagetti line goin to the actuator and itll still waste at 25 or so lbs...i had a ts 6 pos chip,4 inch straight pipe to 5 inch under the cab, 6 inch stacks stickin outa the bed, 6637 air filter,toddlys 6.0 intercooler, and was on 305s with 3.73 gears in the rear end and a 6 speed..i was gettin any where from 23mph(playin alot) to 28 or 30 drivin easy on the highway...

I have a 2000 f350 PSD 7.3 SC 4x4 6sp 3.73 8ft bed stock LT235/
85Rx16E which should be shorter than yours ? at 2000 rpm I am going 67mph. I get about 17mpg empty on the hiway and with a 91/2 foot truck camper on it pushing a lot of air. i get 14 and thats thru the mountains on a trip from mo. to ca.On a trip up to neb we were in a hurry and kept the cruise set on 5 over the posted sometimes the posted was 80 mph. we paid for it , about 11 mpg. on the way back with a 3 horse with dressing room gooseneck trailer and 2 1000lb horses in it bringing the speeds down to 67 or slightly more we saw about 13. Kansas city knocks a whole in it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts