Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

400 Rebuild

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
So, I have a 400 4bbl that needs some help. Oil runs out almost as fast as you can put it in.

Anyway, what do you guys recommend for brands when it comes to gaskets? There are two different Fel-Pro sets on Summit (QKS208 and QFS847PT) I see no difference but the price. Any ideas? If not Fel-Pro, who should I go with.

Should I go through it and replace all the seals/gaskets and see where it sits, or just go for a rebuild kit? the kits are about 300 bucks, so that's doable.

Or would it be better to get it to stop leaking, replace all the sending units and see how healthy the engine is before going for the rebuild kit?

Being my first rebuild, this will be a learning process so help a guy out! :D

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Post links of the gaskets...maybe a different composition? But Fel-Pro has always been good enough for me. If you're just leaking oil, I'd just do gaskets and seals. Save the rebuild for when you really need it.

Edit...saw your links and part numbers. You're still gonna wanna get a valley pan, doesn't look like either set has them. As for price...still don't have a clue, except looks like one set has rubber VC gaskets and the other has cork...so I'd imagine quality of gaskets and seals makes up the price difference.

Last edited:

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Links fixed, it lost the HTML when I copied it over.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Got it and edited.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Thanks for the tip. The one that's on there is in an unknown condition. The motor is going to be rebuilt anyway, so everything is going to get gone through.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I hate to tear an engine down without at least checking the bearings. If it were mine, I'd throw in rings, bearings and an oil pump. Along with a new timing set. Get rid of that factory smog set.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts