Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The boat anchor prevails once again

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
For any that are interested in the Engine Masters competition, John Kaase has now (October) won back to back years with the Ford 400 and almost pulled out a win in 2007. As I've said before, if the 400 is good enough Mr. Kaase, it's definitely good enough for me.

Here's an article with Kaase's winning combo for 2008 (on the last couple pages):

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/te..._engine/1150_holley_dominator_carburetor.html

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Yeah...I'd expect more from a publication...but it's not the first time I've seen Hot Rod do that.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
f170-05230.jpg

That is all.

I second this. :nana:

No offense, but I'll take Mr. Kaase's opinion and expertise over anyone else that has the capability to type on the keyboard. I'd also take his 400 over anything you guys have...for that matter I'd put up my 400 against your FE's or 460s. Take a look on Bubba's M block page, when all is equal (ie not comparing a Boss 429 to a smogged 351M, but rather smogged 460 to smogged 400) there are minimal, maybe 15-20hp difference between engines. However, a 400 provides much higher efficiencies (cui for cui) through stroke and bore, as well as providing a more optimal power curve (lowering peak torque rpm). But this wasn't meant as a debate, because everyone know no replacement for displacement; I was just showing that there is immense potential for the 400. As a matter of fact SAM performance also built a Ford 400 and placed 3rd this year.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Ok, I'll put the boat anchor pictures aside for a moment and give you my opinion on the subject.

When these guys "built a Ford 400" what resemblance does it have to a stock one? I could "build" a honda fart can mobile engine that makes 500hp, it wouldn't be a damn thing like the ones honda uses, butit's still a hoda engine, right? Not in my opinion.

Also, it is interesting to note that the FEs (390, 428 noteably) Made more horsepower in stock form than a 385 0r 335 ever did...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ok, I'll put the boat anchor pictures aside for a moment and give you my opinion on the subject.

When these guys "built a Ford 400" what resemblance does it have to a stock one? I could "build" a honda fart can mobile engine that makes 500hp, it wouldn't be a damn thing like the ones honda uses, butit's still a hoda engine, right? Not in my opinion.

Also, it is interesting to note that the FEs (390, 428 noteably) Made more horsepower in stock form than a 385 0r 335 ever did...

Here ya go:

But this wasn't meant as a debate, because everyone know no replacement for displacement; I was just showing that there is immense potential for the 400.

On top of that...a God of Ford engines thought it was a great platform to build from, so that's all it takes for me to be a believer.

As for the hp ratings...do a little digging and you'll realize the ratings of hp/tq numbers changed, not really comparing apples to apples when you're comparing net to gross numbers.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
yeah, the 351m makin 158hp and the 360FE makin about the same isn't real argument material i guess :rofl2:

True dat...I'm not gonna dog an FE or 385...cuz they're both awesome. I just like supporting the red headed step child.

460s are for STG Fairy Minions, Oops.. Sorry never mind..

You know Ben I never thought I see the 351m/400s getting love not to mention starting to get popular......

HAHA...wait a minute, I have a 460 too. But you're right, the 400 seems to be picking up in the aftermarket department. I think it's like any other engine that picks up support though. Lots of guys dismissed them, so it made it easy and cheap for guys like me to pick them up. In turn, this creates a demand for even more support and parts. I think it's still in the early stages, but who knows, in 20 years there may be just as big a following as there is for SB's and BB's.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Any thing the aftermarket starts doing more for ford is a great thing, there really isn't much when it comes to Ford for the aftermarket when you compare it to what they have for GM cars and trucks.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts