Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ball Joint Life Span

I am pretty sure the shop that sold me my new tires was just trying to sell more work but here it goes...

What criteria would cause the shop to tell me that "I will need ball joints soon" (39,000 miles on the truck) and that "Fords are known for issues with their ball joints" and there "may be a recall on them because they are that bad even on the 2008's"?

My truck rarely leaves the pavement and I tow a boat that is less than half of what this truck is rated to handle. If they are a problem nobody seems to talk about it here. BS or what?

I am pretty sure the shop that sold me my new tires was just trying to sell more work but here it goes...

What criteria would cause the shop to tell me that "I will need ball joints soon" (39,000 miles on the truck) and that "Fords are known for issues with their ball joints" and there "may be a recall on them because they are that bad even on the 2008's"?

My truck rarely leaves the pavement and I tow a boat that is less than half of what this truck is rated to handle. If they are a problem nobody seems to talk about it here. BS or what?

I'm pretty sure there wanting to sell you some ball joints. Your may be in bad condition, but I've never heard of a recall or them being particularly bad on Fords of your or any other era. Take this with a grain of salt though.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
We change ball joints all the time on superdutys. It doesn't take much to make them have play, it just depends on the shop checking them as to how much is too much, if you go by Ford specs the wheel should be falling off.

We change ball joints all the time on superdutys. It doesn't take much to make them have play, it just depends on the shop checking them as to how much is too much, if you go by Ford specs the wheel should be falling off.

Ha! I kind of figured it was a little more subjective than what this guy was making it out to be.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Almost 70,000 on a 2005 f250 here and I'm still on the stock b-joints.

Someone is blowing smoke, balljoints aren't a mileage or age wear item like oil or tires. There needs to be some diagnosis to say that ball joints need replacement.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts