Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Programming new PATS keys

Does anyone know the procedure to program new PATS keys? The Explorer I bought has only 1 key and I can buy new cut keys from Ford for $25.00 each. The owners manual does tell you how to program a new spare key, but it also says that you MUST have 2 pre-programmed keys in order to program a spare key.
If I had 2 keys I wouldn't need another spare.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mel

blacksnapon

Staff member
Unfortunately, with only one key, you'll have to visit your dealer.

Thanks for the help, I did find some info on the Mark VIII board where a couple of people got lucky with only 1 key. I tried it and had no success. The local Pop-a-Lock quoted $140 for 2 keys and programming but Beach Ford charges $25 per key and $50 for programming. I'm going to go to the dealer as Beach Ford is by far the most customer friendly I've found in at least 30 years. They change oil and filter for $10 using Ford parts and will do a state inspection for free! When I have to go to a dealer I take my business to them.
By the way, the Beach Ford I'm mentioning is the one in Virginia Beach Va., for those in this area they are the best.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts