Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear LSD advice for friend

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I have a friend with a 2005 4.0L 4x4 Ranger. He's been talking to the local Ford Dealership about putting the Ford LSD in the rear end for better traction. I told him to let me get some info for him and I'm here for help.

I know the Ford LSD in mine is not all that impressive to me and figured the one for his wouldn't be all that great either so I need suggestions on what's out there for it.

Anyone?? Thanks!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I won't be much help, but here is what I do know- the factory one is fairly typical of OEM clutch-type LSDs- OK, but not great.

The 4.0 Ranger uses the 8.8" rear axle, and I believe there is a decent aftermarket for them, so look around. I remember hearing about someone with an Eaton locker in one, anyway.

Me, I'd want a selectable locker, but that's getting into some serious coin.

Aftermarket is the way to go. Tell him to look at the powertrax products. They have excellent reviews on the explorer forum.

I think they have two versions for the 8.8. One is more street friendly and one is more geared for off-road. One version can be installed in a driveway with hand tools. Nothing special needed.

My explorer is a stock limited slip and I have had no issues with it ever slipping. However, I am not off-road or racing. Just hard street launches.

Plus I am in 4X4 at launch and I have 4.10 gears.

On a side note: You have a friend? :rolling laugh:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
is the mailman the one that helped you with your performance upgrades? :rofl:

While we're in this thread, I was wondering what the difference between a limited slip differential and a 'lockers' would be. Same thing, different terms, or totally different theory?

Ryan

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Ryan,

Limited slip uses gears or clutches to limit the amount of spin to one tire. They redirect the torque to the wheel with the most traction.

Lockers lock the two wheels together giving them equal traction.

On the street, the limited slip is smoother and hardly noticeable that it's there as it works similar to the open axle. The locker makes harsh sounds, most of the time, and makes it a little squirrely driving around corners.

My mechanic "friend" is the one that got me into this mess. Hmmmmm. Interesting, isn't it. :D

Brian, the PowerTrax site only shows applications up to a 2000 model. I'll try calling for info, but his is a 2005. How much difference can there be?

Thanks Brian.

Not just one, but TWO!! :p One's my mailman and one's my mechanic. :) Best friends to have!!

One delivers the parts, one installs the parts. When you break something, the cycle repeats itself. Yep...those are your best friends.:rofl:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I can't asnwer that. The old rangers were 7.5, not the 8.8. I didn't think the 8.8 went into them until around 2000.

Actually, they put the 8.8" in Rangers with the 4.0 back to the mid-'90s, and maybe before. And they still use the 7.5 in trucks with the 2.3 and 3.0.

I see...they were not in the older ones. Anything less than the 4.0 OHV engine had the 7.5. The 2.9 and 3.slow were the big engines back then.

They started putting the 4.0 OHV engine in explorers in 90. I don't know when they put it in rangers for sure.

So 6L needs to know what is in the truck (rear end) before he has his friend order something.

I've heard a lot of guys on the "other" site talking about how much they love their Tru-Trac lsd's. I have the level 2 ranger so mine came with a Torsen LSD and 31 spline axles from the factory.

Did you ever get anything figured out for your friend 6L?

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Did you ever get anything figured out for your friend 6L?
I printed all this out and gave it to him. I didn't see him stuck this winter, so I don't know for sure. He's actually my postman as well as a friend. :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts