Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brake Problems

So, I'm driving down the road and I have a slight vibration. We've had a lot of rain and been getting a lot of pot holes so my first thought is maybe a balancing weight fell off.

We drive some more, and the vibration gets worse, so bad in fact, I can barely drive 20MPH. Bad thing, I'm on the freakin' interstate. It had a bad pull to the right as well.

I finally get to an exit and get to a grocery store parking lot, and my passenger side break caliper on the front is steaming hot. I can smell it putting off almost a sulpher like smell.

I have roadside assistance so I'm able to get a tow to my parents house for $13.

I've jacked it up, pulled the tire off, and though I am nearly 99% sure it is the break caliper, I want to see if anyone else has had this problem to make sure. It is the end of the month and I am strapped for cash right now, and don't want to go spending money on the wrong parts.

I went ahead and checked to make sure the wheel bearings are good, and there was no vibration or movement when I pushed around on the wheel before taking it off.

The break pads have a redish tint to the parts touching the surface as well.

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Either caliper or brake hose. The hose can break down internally allowing fluid into the caliper and not out of it. Before removing the caliper, open the bleeder and see if you can compress the piston. If not, its the caliper, if you can, its the hose.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts