Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

88 mustang gt

Shocker

Charter Member
I'm thinking stupid again, like I need another vehicle.

what does everyone know about the mustang gt? What they worth?

I have the chance to buy a 88 gt with a 5.0 ho, 5 speed. The Interior is good just needs some TLC. The exterior is fresh. New paint, body work and paint job was done right. The motor is good except for a miss when driving. He said he would take care of that. It is hard to shift into reverse. Has new clutch. A friend of mine that has a restoration business is offering it to me. Since he finished the restoration it has taken 4 2nd places at local car shows. The judges at all of them said if he would detail under the hood it would have taken 1st. I like it but I do not know much about mustangs. I am about 85% sure I will buy it just need to do some reshearch on it first. I have been looking for a turn key vehicle to show while I finish shockers restoration and I think this may be it. The price he is fooering is around what I have found on ebay for 88's in worse condition.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Don't have much advice to offer but if it's a good deal I say go for it.YelloThumbUp It's about time you added another Ford to your collection. :nana:

How have you been doing anyway?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
1988 Mustang GT

Don't know how much help this will be, but my 4 year old Kelley Blue Book says $4450 retail; minus $100.00 for manual transmission.

A word of caution. If you're over 6' tall, the interior can become cramped very quickly.

Add for the following accessories:
Cassette $50.00
Leather $50.00
Sun Roof $25.00

Deduct for reconditioning.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
minus $100.00 for manual transmission.

This surprises me...everyone I know who would want to buy a Fox-body GT would just about insist on a manual trans.

I'm sure the price differential is much greater on other vehicles where a manual trans is not so desirable, but I'd figure that on a 'Stang, they'd be closer to even.[confused]

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Lately I've been in kindof a 'go for it' mood. I'd go for it.

Ryan

I like the 88 and 89 bodies a lot better than the newer ones. That is just me though.

I wanted an 89 GT when I got my 89 ranger, but I needed a truck more than a toy. LOL

I say if the price is right...grab it. I would not want an automatic in a stang. Thats like buying one with a 6 banger stang. Something wrong there.....:headbang:

Shocker

Charter Member
well I going to get it, he was asking 3500 and I am getting it for 2500. The tranny was a bw t-5, but he replaced it with a tremic.(spelling?) They are tuning it up and going to make sure all the things I pointed out are looked at and fixed. Should have it with in a week or 2. I just need a pony to go iin the corral with the others.

Shocker

Charter Member
How have you been doing anyway?

Not bad. Feel better since the HT then in the last 5 yrs. Guess thats why I am getting the stang, feel the need for speed in 2nd or 3rd childhood.

I will have pictures posted with in the next 2 weeks on my web site. you just going to have to wait a while.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I like the 88 and 89 bodies a lot better than the newer ones. That is just me though.
The 1979 Mustang is the same body as the 1991...the only real difference is the front bumper and grille, taillights and side trim. The biggest change was in 1987. But the sheetmetal, understructure is identical.

The Mustang Fox body is the same structure (look at the cowl & windshield) as the Capri/T-Bird/Cougar/Mark VII/Continental Sedan/LTD/Marquis/Fairmont/Zephyr/81-2 Granada, and prolly more. Ford got their money's worth oughtta this body!

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
A word of caution. If you're over 6' tall, the interior can become cramped very quickly.

I have to disagree here, I drove one 400+ miles from Lewiston, ID to Caldwell, ID and had no complaints about comfort. I'm 6'3" BTW

I've been looking for one to stuff my 5.0 into, Would actually rather have the Notch back over the fast back but thats just me, these cars are friggen awesome even in stock form, if anybody has ever driven the aforementioned trip they'll know what the road is like, twisties, and all this car had was a set of performance radials. Oh, and the auto isn't that bad in these cars.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I have to disagree here, I drove one 400+ miles from Lewiston, ID to Caldwell, ID and had no complaints about comfort. I'm 6'3" BTW
I should have added that age and weight might have something to do with it. Personally I find this and all Mustangs cramped inside. Out of roughly 90 Ford's I've owned since the late 1950's, I've never owned a Mustang. Being 6-5, 335 lbs, and born when FDR was prez is the reason.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I have only been in one that I can recall. It was about an 83 drop top and the top was down.....
1979 and later 'Stangs: When the conv. top is down (the only way I can drive one), my eye level is at the header, so I have to look up...or down to see straight ahead. The coupe's/fastbacks have a higher roofline, so old "Ostrich Neck" doesn't have that problem. The leg room is sadly wanting. And...with Hippo Hips, the Mustang buckets don't work too well. More hangs over than sits!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts