Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

explorer door, need help

ok heres what happend. a few weeks ago my friend got out of the front seat (passenger side). when he got out the door didn't shut all the way. he opened it and triend again. same thing. the 3rd time, he opened it and slammed it hard. now the door will not open at all, from the inside or out. any ideas gent's? jdk

blacksnapon

Staff member
Looks like a problem inside the door. If I was to guess, the latch is remaining locked, preventing opening. You need to get the inner panel off to gain access to all of the mechanisms. Might try using the key and locking/unlocking the door repeatedly, then hopefully something broke loose.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Your buddy owes ya a couple cold ones...

I agree with blacksnapon...sounds like a lock-related issue. We had an S-10 at work that had a lock give out and lock the door up tight a few months ago.

It sounds like worn out door hinges or hinge pins. That's a curse I wouldn't wish on an enemy. After removing my door panel with the door open I can tell you that the job will be difficult at best with the seat, console and steering wheel in the way. The best suggestion I can give is to contact some body shops for a guaranteed total price to do the job. I believe this is a job that requires a well experienced professional to keep from tearing up too much stuff. He might also check with his insurance for comprenhisive coverage that covers lock out. He could get lucky.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
While I haven't messed with the door hinges or pins on the Explorer in particular, I've replaced quite a few over time and other than a spring here and there, haven't had any major problems.

JDK, ever have any resolution?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts