Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Happy To Be Here! Gas Guage Issues

agrgjf-250

Georgia Chapter member
Hello everyone! I have a '06 F250 that is awsome!!! But something has recently came up. The fuel guage will drop to empty and the info guage in the dash will read fuel data error. Any ideas what might be going on with this problem and suggestions to either fix it or will I have to have it fixed by a mechanic.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Hello everyone! I have a '06 F250 that is awsome!!! But something has recently came up. The fuel guage will drop to empty and the info guage in the dash will read fuel data error. Any ideas what might be going on with this problem and suggestions to either fix it or will I have to have it fixed by a mechanic.

I recomend first having it scanned for codes as there are codes for fuel sender, they will send you in the correct direction.

agrgjf-250

Georgia Chapter member
I just had it scanned and the dealership I used said they had to reprogram the computer with an upgrade for the fuel injectors. It was to clean the injectors by making them run before and after startup and shutdown. Now, 3 hours after the UPGRADE it did the same thing again. If there is anthing I can do outside of paying a nice sum of money for the fix please fill me in. This is the first deisel I have owned. I do not want to own any other kind of truck ever. HELP!!

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I just had it scanned and the dealership I used said they had to reprogram the computer with an upgrade for the fuel injectors. It was to clean the injectors by making them run before and after startup and shutdown. Now, 3 hours after the UPGRADE it did the same thing again. If there is anthing I can do outside of paying a nice sum of money for the fix please fill me in. This is the first deisel I have owned. I do not want to own any other kind of truck ever. HELP!!

I don't have a quick fix for you but I would recomend checking the wiring harness that runs down the frame rail to the rear of the truck to make sure the wires haven't rubbed through. I would need to see the truck while the problem is happening to diag it properly. Where are you located?

agrgjf-250

Georgia Chapter member
I am located in Georgia. My truck has been pampered to no end. No off-roading, no hot dogging and no trying to see how much it can pull. I really hoped I would not have to buy another truck for at least another ten years or so that is why I want to get this fixed. But I am not a wealthy man! That is why I am trying to get my baby fixed without any extra hardship on mesefl or family in these trying economic times. I would like to thank you for your time and effort on this matter. I will let you know what is said when I go to a dealership for a diagnostic. Once again thanks for the help.

Though I have an 99, when my fuel gauge was acting up, I isolated it to the male/female connector located just in front of the tank, prior to the cross member. Cleaned it, fixed the problem. Small hands help on this one.

blacksnapon

Staff member
There was a concern a while back with buildup of sulphur on the fuel sender cards. The fix at that time was to use the additive "techron". I believe its an Exxon product. Possibly 2-3 tanks would do it.

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
i had that problem on a chevy and it was a loose chassi ground back by the gas tank.

Are you fueling it while the truck is running? We had to stop doing that because it throws off the fuel gauge over time.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Are you fueling it while the truck is running? We had to stop doing that because it throws off the fuel gauge over time.

How exactly does that happen? This is the first I've ever heard of this and I know of literally hundreds of guys that fill while the trucks are running and have never had an issue, myself included.

I don't know the technical side of it. It happened on my 07. We used to always fuel the truck while it's running. After about 8 months the fuel gauge didn't go past 3/4 full. A week later the truck's fuel gauge went to E and it died. Fuel tank was 3/4 full. The truck thought it was out of fuel and shut itself off.

Turns out it's a known issue and there's a TSB sent out about it. Truck must be shut off while fueling if it's an 07 or newer.

I thought so. Apparently the 06 and older Duramax trucks can be refueled while running without issues. Something changed in the 07 model year and it creates this issue.

When the truck is scanned the code that comes up is for insufficient fuel in the tank.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
So it is a GM issue?...I assume you are talking about a GM truck?

I don't know if it's GM wide. The TSB is for the Chevrolet 2500 and 3500. I am unsure if the issue is present in the GMC 2500 & 3500. I also don't know if it affects the Topkick 4500 & 5500 or the Kodiak 4500 & 5500.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If it was for the Chev it would be for the GM...same thing.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts