Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anyone know much about Y-blocks?

I hate to go to the "other forum" and the Y-block section and ask questions. All they seem to do is argue with each other in there. :wtf:

My Y-block runs fine. No issues there. What I need to ask about is temperature. Running down the road I run about 192 or so. When I get into the mountains or am stuck in town traffic the temp climbs though. It has gotten as high as 217-218. How high is too high?

I replaced the hoses, thermostat, and antifreeze a while back. It has a 50/50 mix of prestone/water.

I flushed the radiator and the block, but who knows the real condition inside. The radiator looks OK from the top. It has no leaks. The water level stays about 1" down from the spout when I overfill it. OOPS!

Also, if the water pump is on the way out (don't think mine is) will it dribble antifreeze out the bottom like the later fords do?

I don't know that anyone around here knows a lot about them, but I prefer to ask here first.

2 issues, if the Rad looks clean it probaly is. the h2o pump may be bypassing but i'd sooner think it's the age of the truck. i've no clue the temp range of the new 'stat you put in.
an imparitive is changing the Rad cap when you replace the things you did. mine is 16-18lb. it made a ton of difference in my temp readings..having that good seal made my cooling system work sooo much better.

Oh.. I left that off the list, I put a new cap on too. I think they are 4 or 6 pounds. Any more and you will blow the radiator apart. Whatever the book said it was is what I bought.

There is only one thermostat available as far as I know. They are rather large. It is the stock temp setting (whatever that is). It opens fine. Once they are open they don't really do much as far as I know.

Bill gave me some information on what to get on "the other site". BKW here and numberdummy there. LOL

I am just concerned about the hgher temp in town and on the long hills. It seems to run fine and not have any issues at those temps. I do not want to damage this engine. I want to make a 100 mile round trip in it tomorrow. :D

220* isn't over heating for a big truck.
thermos are directional just in case.
a quick test for you Rad.
in the morning, before running the truck, put your hand on the upper Rad hose... squeeze the lower Rad hose and see if you feel the top hose pulsing.. that will show a pass through in the Rad.
start the truck... let it get to running temp and see if the upper hose passes hot water to the thermostat. hold on to the lower hose and make sure it recirculates. it'll get hot
if yes turn on the heater, feel the hoses to the heat box. hot as hell in one hose, hot in the return..
if the pump is circulating.... you'll feel the temp as i said.
if you are still concerned.. pull the stat. see if you get temp to the places it should be.
. if you sit still and heat.. AC ,or climb hills, temp will climb more than you're used to.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I don't know that anyone around here knows a lot about them, but I prefer to ask here first.
Don't know anyone, huh. How about Bob Ayres, or a certain dummy?

How clear is the water in your radiator? Any rust flakes moving about?

One mistake ppl make is adding anti-freeze to [older] engines without THOROUGHLY flushing the block first. The anti-freeze when added, will remove rust from the block and plug the radiator.

I didn't know if you know much about the operating of them. Parts yes....LOL

The old antifreeze was yucky. I flushed the radiator and block several times until it came out clean. The block has two drain valves as well. Both work.

What is in there now is nice clean green antifreeze (50/50 mix).

Even after driving it on the trip and around here locally since then it still apears fine.

I have not noticed anything floating in the antifreeeze.

As far as flushing it. I used the engine flush made by prestone (followed instructions). Then did the same thing with just water several times. I didn't put anything back until it came out completely clean.

This thing is 51 years old, but I do not want to damage the engine.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
I know my cousin had a 65 F100 with a 392 (I think thats what it was) Y block, and that thing ran like a scalded dog.............3 on the tree helped.

Gunner

Bill will correct me probably, but I think the Y-block designation stopped in 64 in the trucks. I don't know all the sizes, but the largest I have heard of is a 312.

Mine runs well, but is no where near fast. Top speed (without me having a tach) is 55-60. I am afraid to wind the engine higher without knowing the RPMs.

It had (51 years ago) around 165 HP. Bill will correct that as well. LOL

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Bill will correct me probably, but I think the Y-block designation stopped in 64 in the trucks. I don't know all the sizes, but the largest I have heard of is a 312.

Mine runs well, but is no where near fast. Top speed (without me having a tach) is 55-60. I am afraid to wind the engine higher without knowing the RPMs.

It had (51 years ago) around 165 HP. Bill will correct that as well. LOL

This was a very distinctive looking engine...........the exhaust manifold, to me, looked like it wrapped around the FRONT of the engine, then exited out the passenger side of the engine compartment. I was TOLD (I don't know for SURE) that it was a 392 Y block..............

I don't know that much about old Fords though..........when it comes to vintage cars, well.................I still prefer the Generals cars.....................Shhhhhhhhhhhh....................don't tell anybody ;)

Gunner

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
This was a very distinctive looking engine...........the exhaust manifold, to me, looked like it wrapped around the FRONT of the engine, then exited out the passenger side of the engine compartment. I was TOLD (I don't know for SURE) that it was a 392 Y block..............

I don't know that much about old Fords though..........when it comes to vintage cars, well.................I still prefer the Generals cars.....................Shhhhhhhhhhhh....................don't tell anybody ;)

Gunner
It was no newer than 1964, and it was a 292. 1964 was the last year for the Y block. 1965 was the first year for an FE engine (352), in an F Series truck.

Technically, an FE engine is also a Y block, but no one (including Ford) ever called them that.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
1956 F100 Y Block Engine specs.

OHV V8 (Y8) 5 Main Bearings; B&S 3.62 x 3.30; 272 cid; Compression Ratio 8.3:1; 171 HP @ 4400 RPM; 260 ft. lbs. of Torque @ 2100-2400 RPM; 2 Barrel Carb.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I didn't know if you know much about the operating of them. Parts yes....LOL
Brian, the next time you stray over to the other site..check this out:

Delaware Chapter / Thread: how many Fords have you owned. / Post # 49.

I've owned more than my share of Y blocks, including 3 1956 F100's.

Ohhh...can't say that I have ever visited the Delaware chapter. I am not even positive I can even identify it on a map. LOL

I drove her a little over 100 miles round trip. I made 7 or 8 stops over there. No issues whatsoever. The temp ran warmer than I like, but it was the same as posted above.

Dad just told me there is some sort of cruise in tomorrow night at the A&W. I will have to see how I feel after dialysis, but it sounds like fun.

Last edited:

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
You might very well be correct. Bill will confirm it. The truck Y-block exhaust wraps around the front.

Mine:

DSCF0737.jpg

Yup, thats it, except it wasn't dressed out as nice.............I guess I misheard him...........I do know that thing ran like a rocket though :)

Gunner

Yup, thats it, except it wasn't dressed out as nice.............I guess I misheard him...........I do know that thing ran like a rocket though :)

Gunner

The chrome (valve covers, water pump, front pulley, and thermostat housing) are really old chrome. They were badly rusted when I got it. I polished it out a lot, but they are really pitted. The block, intake, and everything else are bare and has a lot of surface rust. It needs to be pulled, cleaned somehow, and painted. Another one of those.....somedays....

1956 F100 Y Block Engine specs.

OHV V8 (Y8) 5 Main Bearings; B&S 3.62 x 3.30; 272 cid; Compression Ratio 8.3:1; 171 HP @ 4400 RPM; 260 ft. lbs. of Torque @ 2100-2400 RPM; 2 Barrel Carb.

It does not have high HP, but it makes up for it in torque. It does not handle like a sports car and does not have a high top end, but it will move pretty well off the line. I will never hot rod mine, but it has a lot better take off than my old ranger, my old F-150, or my current explorer.

Bill will correct me again, but the explorer has somewhere around 207 HP, but it does not seem to have nearly as much torque as the old Y-block.

Last edited:
Brian, the next time you stray over to the other site..check this out:

Delaware Chapter / Thread: how many Fords have you owned. / Post # 49.

I've owned more than my share of Y blocks, including 3 1956 F100's.

Somone has owned way too many vehicles in his day!

Mine is a short list LOL.

Former fords:

72 Gran Torino Sport

80 Granada Ghia

89 Ranger XLT (4X4) {my brothers now}

88 F-150 XL (4X4) {my dads now}

Current fords:

01 Explorer XLT (4X4)

56 F-100

I have owned 2 vehicles that were not fords as well.

70 Buick GS stage 1 (455/4 speed)

82 Audi 5000s

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Fords I've owned

66 Mustang (Inheireted from my Grandmother. Worn completly out. Sold it.)

78 Merc Grand Marquis 4 door (400 Ford 2 barrel, 4 doors, Birth Control Car)

03 Ford F150 Extended Cab XLT (First New Vehicle I've ever owned. Good Truck)

06 Ford F250 Extended Cab XLT (Second New Truck. My WARHORSE)

07 Ford F150 Extended Cab (WIFES first new vehicle ;) )

Gunner

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts