Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Well I started the overdrive switch mod.

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Doc I was curious if your overdrive wires ran up the column on the top and then connected at the base. I have pictures but the wire colors are different at each plug. Coming from the gear selector they are green, purple, and yellow. Other plug has yellow, orange, and white. I didn't have to drop the column on my truck but I dis make sure to follow the wires to the shaft.
1254770824.jpg

that's the one coming from the switch.
1254770853.jpg

one that connects to the harness.
1254770898.jpg

the wires follow clips on the left of the column up on top on my truck.

Last edited:

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
http://www.freewebs.com/selectron/2000-f250-overdrive-cancel-switch.pdf
I used this for the wire diagram. The red yellow wire went to the purple red wire of the gear selector harness. I put this on the power terminal of the switch. The tan white one went to the white blue one that I connected to the accessory terminal. The white green one went to the green white one that I connected to the ground so the bulb will illuminate. Flip the switch in drive and the led stays on meaning overdrive is off. Flip it off then back on and the led blinks and foes off and you are back in normal overdrive mode. The shift points are changed with overdrive off as it is meant for towing or other conditions. This is the alternative to replacing the gear selector where the wires usually break.
1254864963.jpg

the white part is the grommet the wires come out and where mine were broke.
1254864969.jpg

this is my switch wired up.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I'm on my laptop at the lake right now. Pics are a little small on here. all my wires were very small guage and ran kinda twisted like up the column on the top. but they pretty much stayed in the middle. But like I said most of my wires were burnt and gone. Looks good though, How did it work out for ya??

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
It turned out well. My wires were twisted in a black heat shrink on top of the column on the left side under some plastic clips that were PITA to get out. But after getting it loose I snipped the wires and pulled them out the bottom of the dash with the center panel pulled out to get access to the wires. I didn't have to drop the column but my slender arms and flexibility helped get the wires out.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts