Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Smoke From Valve covers breathers?? normal??

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
it smokes just a little from the valve cover breather on the pass. side and a little from the oil fill when i open it at the driver side..

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Sounds like normal engine vapors to me, especially if the PCV isn't connected. The oil is getting a real beating in there, and getting superheated in small quantities, that will flash to vapor in the hot engine crankcase. It takes the beating so the metal parts don't have to. Every engine will have some blow-by because there's no way to make a perfect seal with rings that are open ended and actually have a gap between the ends. Every cylinder will leak down over time when the engine stops. That said, minute amounts of exhaust go into the crank case as well. Oil on the cylinder walls will get burnt on the power stroke of each cylinder, which is the primary contributor to the oil getting dark when it gets mileage on it.

I take it this is your fresh rebuild? Did you install the PCV?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Sounds like normal engine vapors to me, especially if the PCV isn't connected. The oil is getting a real beating in there, and getting superheated in small quantities, that will flash to vapor in the hot engine crankcase. It takes the beating so the metal parts don't have to. Every engine will have some blow-by because there's no way to make a perfect seal with rings that are open ended and actually have a gap between the ends. Every cylinder will leak down over time when the engine stops. That said, minute amounts of exhaust go into the crank case as well. Oil on the cylinder walls will get burnt on the power stroke of each cylinder, which is the primary contributor to the oil getting dark when it gets mileage on it.

I take it this is your fresh rebuild? Did you install the PCV?

yes its a brand new reman engine from ford only about 100 miles on the engine now and no no PCV valve..

I wouldnt worry about it Jurgen my 410 has a ton of it. Id worry about oil comin out the exhaust more than blow by.

yupp i tought so.. the exhaust is clean no oil smell or smoke..

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
a bit low.. becuase its leaking oil where the oil pressure sender is it flared wrong gotta re do it.. and the frkn dipstick i ordered doesnt mark correctly when i filled it with oil i filled 5 quarts and i have no way to chek it how low it is and how much does it need.. i dont have a stock dipstick only an aftermarked one that doesnt mark correctly!

when i change the oil.. im gonna put in 5 quarts and mark the dipstick where 5 quarts is

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Umm, does that have a truck pan on it? The reason I ask, it takes 6 quarts in my 5.0.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts