Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

3.0 V6 reliability

I found a nice looking high millage Ranger in my area at a good price. It has 217,000 miles, do you think it would even be worth thinking about at that price?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Can't tell ya...you didn't post a price...personally though, anytime I see a gas rig with over 200k on the clock, I start thinking rebuild. Sometimes it might last ya 500 miles, other times it may last you another 100k...but typically for me, I can only get to 220k before a rebuild is needed.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
That is high mileage. Some 3.0 I heard have gone 300K. It does look clean.
It has a Auto tranny wonder if it was ever rebuilt. 2990 is a bit on the steep side with something with that many miles.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I found a nice looking high millage Ranger in my area at a good price. It has 217,000 miles, do you think it would even be worth thinking about at that price?
for the price id say no. but if you were to take and give it a shot on talkin him down to 1500 or maybe maybe 2k. id look closely.
That is high mileage. Some 3.0 I heard have gone 300K. It does look clean.
It has a Auto tranny wonder if it was ever rebuilt. 2990 is a bit on the steep side with something with that many miles.
any motor basically if taken care enough of will last that long. 3.0's can take tons and tons of abuse and keep on goin. i think he probably get this truck and it last atleast another 75k miles as long as it has been taken care of.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
We ran a 1992 Ford Aerostar to 311,000 miles and sold it in running condition including the original transmission as well. They'll go a LOT of miles if someone is willing to change the fluids frequently.

Ryan

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
At least on the West side of the country Edmunds tends to be more accurate i have found.. Maybe Ernie will see this thread and give his opinion.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I've seen 3,0's make stoopid miles- 300,000+

BUT

Three grand for a 200,000 mile anything is a ton of dough. We're almost into the money for a comparable miled stoopid duty powerstroke- and a rust-free northwest example at that.

I'd be thinking $1000-$1500 bucks tops. Jenny and i have actually been looking at a few examples out here in that general ballpark.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts