Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

time for a engine swap

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Well the explorer has been burning oil and smoking enough to control the sketter population for the county. Now the time has come for a engine swap.

The wife has been complaining it had no power and was missing bad. It always ran fine for me till today. It ran like it had a 3 cylinder geo metro engine in it.
I have another factory 4.0with less than 12K miles on it, and a fresh factory tranny to stick into it.
Guess I will be getting greasy here in the next day or so as time allows.
Then it will be time for the 85 ranger to get a tranny(I hate A4LD 's) and a good going over to get it winter ready.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Tis the season...seems like everyone is doing/finishing engine swaps over the last few weeks. Good luck with the swap...hopefully Murphy won't rear his ugly head.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Got the front end tore off then I got busy with work and no time to work on it.
It's parked out side and the few days I could have worked on it it was pouring down rain. Looks like tomorrow I may get a chance to work on it a little. I may end up dragging it in the garage so I can work on it as time allows.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Today I finally got some free time to work at pulling the motor and transmission from the donor.
It has been the worst motor pull I have ever done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Bastages that put the new tranny in there used Red Thread lock on every bolt stripped on off trying to break it loose.
Figured might as well cut the front end off the donor go to get my torches and they are empty my Father in law used them awhile ago and emptied both tanks and never said they were empty. Have to order to tanks before I can cut it apart.
Every lovely bolt has the red thread lock on it. Had to use a 3 foot cheater bar to turn every nut loose.My impact gun would barely turn them and it is a Thunder gun 625 ft/lbs. of maximum torque .
Needless to say I think I need a drink and a few blocks of C4

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I took my aggressions out on it. I got out the saws-all and cut everything off flush with the firewall. Will bring everything out at once and take it apart once it is out. should get this done tomorrow if all goes as planned.

FTF'er
Is this thing still going to run? Usually nothing runs again after I get out the sawz-all... lol.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You better get on the ball Randy...you and I decided it was time for an engine swap at the same time...mine's done, where's yours? HAHAHAHA

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I'm a slacker and I'm married.
Wife keeps saying lets go do this and do that. I say I need to do the engine swap and she keeps asking to go here or there so I give in.
Because as the old saying goes. If Momma ain't Happy ain't no one happy.

The other night she asks when are you going to do change that engine
I said the when we had to go to Pittsburgh or Morgantown to go shopping for craft supplies for you. That kinda shut her up and ticked off at the same time. :)

I would much rather change a engine in a 70's series truck over a 90's truck any day.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I would much rather change a engine in a 70's series truck over a 90's truck any day.

Agreed...swapped the 460 in Thunder...wasn't too bad, but no where near as simple the handful of bolts the Bronco had. I've also helped out buddies and dad's friends, and they have mainly late 90's chubbies...miles and miles of wires with those bad boys...no thank you.

*Cough cough* < has a 460 for sell :D

Damn Mike...shoulda reminded me of that, I woulda traded you my 351 and some cash.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts