Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

G3's from Nations?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You trying to do the swap on your 79????? If so...go to a JY, find a good 3g alternator and you'll be outta there for $50 or less.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hmm. Well maybe if the yards around here were not bastards and didnt want 150 bucks for one I would.
But I dont want to deal with a old alt I want a shiny new one :)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well then go for it...never heard of Nations though. JBG does have a 170 amp for $195 and a 200 amp for $239...food for thought.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
ok! I got some narrowed down..
The JB one and the Jegs ford one Wire 100qmp..
How many Amps is enough do I really need a 170amp? or should I go for 200! amps :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Go as far as your wallet will allow...I've never heard someone say 'man I wish I had less power'

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Really depends on the truck, unless you run power tools or something or have a huge stereo. or a gazillion lights you dont really need the amps... 170 would be more than enough...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Really depends on the truck, unless you run power tools or something or have a huge stereo. or a gazillion lights you dont really need the amps... 170 would be more than enough...

Agreed...but if I remember correctly, he said he has a huuuuuuuuge stereo system. And it's only about $30 different...so why not go for the bigger one...I mean hell, it ain't my money...hahaha.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
No I dont have a big system I will be getting a much better system but nothing I think will warrant dual alts and bat bank.. Just some thing I can blast loud and clear..

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
How many Amps is enough do I really need a 170amp? or should I go for 200! amps :D

No I dont have a big system I will be getting a much better system but nothing I think will warrant dual alts and bat bank.. Just some thing I can blast loud and clear..

Tex,

Since you don't have a heavy electrical load and are not planning on installing a huge stereo amp, then 100A or 140A alternator should be plenty. IIRC OEM on your truck was 60-65A. Most of the 200A alternators i have seen from the reputable manufactures are mucho expensive, usually North of $275 so if you find an in-expensive 200A alternator i would check it out carefully and be wary of its build quality.

Also note that an alternator only puts out as much amperage as there is a draw for from the vehicles electrical system. So if your vehicle never draws more than 50A then that is all the alternator will ever put out no matter how large it is. Also the larger the alternator the larger the amount of Hp required to drive it as the load demand increases. At idle most alternators put out a max amperage of half there maximum rated capacity.

You may also want to check Summit racing since you are looking to purchase online.
www.summitracing.com/

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Thats uh... Blackhat :) i order a 200 amp from JB (which come to find out are made by Nations) I was going to go for the 170 but after shipping the 200 was only 30 bucks for so I went with the 200 maybe i'll never need that many but you never know what crazy Idea I may get in the future :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts