Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anyone have much experience w/ AC issues?

My compressor is not kicking on and I'm not yet sure why. I have to do some trouble shooting Wednesday eve to try and figure this out. It worked two years ago when I first had the truck running, but something is out of order now. I'm pretty sure it's electrical. I have the huge factory wiring schematics and if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Cheers

blacksnapon

Staff member
Try jumpering the low pressure switch with it running (on or near the receiver drier) if it kicks on, its low on freon.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
how cold is your air in say 95* weather like we're having? I'm curious how well other trucks of relatively the same era cool the cab.

Ryan

andym

Real men are fanatics
My Bronco still has the original, uncharged factory air. If you leave it on cold too long you'll get frostbite on your hands. It was 105 here today.

It works pretty good. :D

blacksnapon

Staff member
The R12 refrigerant actually is more efficient than R134a. When R134a came out, it was important that you had tinted windows to help diffuse the suns heat.

andym

Real men are fanatics
Yep, R12 is FAR superior to R134a. Another reason to like older vehicles.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Yep, R12 is FAR superior to R134a. Another reason to like older vehicles.

Very true! Up until you have to replace some of that R12....

andym

Real men are fanatics
I had a shop replace mine with freeze-12 in my F-150. You need a parka in July if you run it on anything but low.

andym

Real men are fanatics
I'm not complaining.. I love the heat! :)

blacksnapon

Staff member
I had a shop replace mine with freeze-12 in my F-150. You need a parka in July if you run it on anything but low.
The only thing bad about the freon replacement products is that you aren't sure what it is. One product they use is propane (it is a good refrigerant) how about a slight leak with a bad plug wire?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts