Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dynamic Balancing

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Did a little research on dynamic balancing because I'm sick of weights falling off, residue left from stick ons and I think weights on the tire just look ugly. So came across this site, I thought the charts were really helpful. I know dynamic balancing has been around for a while, I just never knew how many ounces should be applied to each tire. I also think you could get away cheaper by going with air soft bb's or copper bb's instead of the advertised product...I think I'd stick with the plastic due to less noise and it would reduce any possible rim damage.

The amount of weight for Agressive treads:
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

or check for your application:
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/tirechartmap.htm

FAQ's:
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/news.htm

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Ben,

Some good links and information.

Here is a little additional information and food for thought. For years, "dynamic balancing" always referred to spin balancing machines and "static balancing" referred to the balancing machines where the wheel layed horizontalliy on the machine with a bubble in the center. Dynamic wheel balancing is "generally" superior to static balancing. Now spin balancing machines are not perfect as there is no road force applied to the wheel. There are road force balancing machines that will not only balance the wheel assembly but also the hub etc, on the vehicle. The only down side to this is that you must rebalance everytime you rotate the tires.

The permanent balancing methods (both internal & external) have been around for years and are most commonly used on heavy trucks. Permanent balancing does have some downsides as well. If you are using a permanent balancing system on OEM stock wheels & tires every thing generally works well. Were problems start is when you increase the wheel-tire size and therefore total wheel weight. Now the wheel assembly do to the increased weight responds differently under driving conditions do to the higher unsprung weight which many times makes "permanent" balancing systems ineffective. Here is an article on the subject (by dynabead btw), it references 19.5" & 22.5: wheel upgrades but the physics are the same anytime the wheel weight is increased above OEM. www.innovativebalancing.com/ProblemsWith19.5_22.5.pdf

One of the methods i have used on modified vehicles with heavier wheels is to have the tire shop dynamically balance the wheels and apply standard weights and then use external permanent balancing systems to fine tune the balance as tire wear occurs. Now obviously this is an expensive method and generally overkill but it does result in an exceptionally smooth ride and increased tire life.

Here are some links to external permanent balancing rings.
www.centramatic.com/Home.aspx
www.balancemasters.com/

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I need to correct a poorly worded sentence and the erroneous information it contains in my previous post.
"Now spin balancing machines are not perfect as there is no road force applied to the wheel. There are road force balancing machines that will not only balance the wheel assembly but also the hub etc, on the vehicle. The only down side to this is that you must rebalance everytime you rotate the tires."

A standard free-standing spin balancing machine is not perfect since it does not apply road force nor does it balance the hub etc on a vehicle. There have been spin balancing machines for many years that will balance a wheel assembly and the hub etc directly on the vehicle but do not apply a "road force".

Now Hunter makes a free-standing spin balancing machine with "road force". Basically the road force measures the runout of the tire & wheel to then balance the setup to correct this problem. These machines do not balance the hub etc.

Here is a good discussion on road force balancing
www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tires-and-wheels/96268-road-force-balancing-what-questions-ask/

Basically you have the following types of wheel balancing:
1) Static off vehicle (least precise)
2) Dynamic Spin off vehicle (no road force)
3) Dynamic Spin on vehicle (no road force)
4) Dynamic Spin off vehicle with true "Road Force"
5) Permanent (either internal or external)

Sorry for the confusing and inaccurate previous information.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Now worries man, and thanks for the info. The main reason I posted was because I have never known how many ounces I needed to balance...I always got 'a hand full' or ' a few ounces'...so now that I found a good reference I figured others could use it too. I think $10 a tire is ridiculous to have someone else throw some bb's in my tire because I didn't know how many oz I needed.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I use copper bb's not sure how many ounces i put in i did find a chart, and i think it converts to like 260 grams? I only had a scale that measured in grams, sorry...
But it worked well for me, did the front to and it was amazing the difference now i just got to do the back to, breaking tires down adding bb's and re-mounting just dont seem like much fun though... Maybe some day... Maybe this weekend...
Reps when i can.

Kevsha

hackin' 'n' whackin'
you guys are talking about BBs in the tire, could you be more specific with that? I've never heard of anyone doing this, what do you do with them/how does it work? thanks

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Use the chart to get the correct weight for your tire size, you air down the tire, break the seal, insert the bb's into the tire and re-set the bead. Air up and you have just dynamically balanced your tire...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
you guys are talking about BBs in the tire, could you be more specific with that? I've never heard of anyone doing this, what do you do with them/how does it work? thanks

Use the charts I linked to...that'll be a good guage for how many ounces of bb's you should use per tire. By doing this, the centripetal force will force the bb's into balancing. For the record, using bb's isn't the best idea due to rust and/or possible rim damage. So use the air soft pellets. I've also heard of water and/ore antifreeze mixes, but this can cause more rim damage. Also heard of golf balls being used...but the golf ball eventually deteriorates to the core and becomes a hot blob and throws the tire off.

Kevsha

hackin' 'n' whackin'
cool, thanks. i had just never heard of anyone doing that. when you are going to Ford school and working at a dealer those are some of the things they don't teach you. i stick to doing a dynamic balance inside and out and use stickie weights. the factory offset wheels make it easy to balance like that, and since everytime i rotate my tires i scrub the inside of the wheels i don't usually have the weights fall off. i suppose when you start using tires lthe size of the ones on your truck balancing with weights becomes a problem

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
....when you are going to Ford school and working at a dealer those are some of the things they don't teach you....

Just curious, do they teach you to "Road Force" balance or even have any of the machines that will do it?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just curious, do they teach you to "Road Force" balance or even have any of the machines that will do it?

Can you explain how they do that...for some reason I just don't grasp the concept...Is it like without road force but with 'wheel' under it?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

Kevsha

hackin' 'n' whackin'

no they do not. most ford dealers do not have a road force machine, we saw a video of it but that was the extent. the dealer i worked at did not have a roadforce machine, anything that required it we had to sent to the tire shop down the street

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Kevsha,

Ok thanks, just wondered how Ford dealt with it since i know Road Force Balance is required in some of the TSB's to try and fix problems.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hmm What about noise? how bad is the noise?

Non-existent if you have Swampers...but if you don't you may hear a clinking off the rims under 5mph.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts