Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

excursion down

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
My wifes excursion is down. It will not start. It just turns over. It gave me a couple of signs leading up to this. Earlier today it was hard starting. When it finally started it ran rough like it wasn't geeing enough fuel. after the second time it did this I left it running untill i got home. It now won't start. I am going to wait for it too cool off and see if it starts then.

The fuel filters are new. I changed them and the oil less than a 1000 miles ago. The oil pressure gauge is rising while it turns over. The real kicker is that the truck has 100187 miles on it. 187 miles out of warrenty.

If I can't get it figured out I will take it to the dealer for dianostics.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
unplug the icp and try to start it. I had one the other day with a bad ipr (would just bleed oil pressure straight to the oil vent on the hpop)

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I cleared the dtc, started it with it unpluged, killed it, reconnected the icp, started truck and drove it down the road. No engine light this time.

Would you reccomend changing the icp?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I cleared the dtc, started it with it unpluged, killed it, reconnected the icp, started truck and drove it down the road. No engine light this time.

We've had issues with both the sensor, and the pigtail. Might have to replace both.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Thanks. It is an 05 model. I think that I will change them both. especially that it is on my wifes excursion. I don't need her stuck.

Robert - was your ICP under the turbo? I only ask because I've been told that all Excursions have '03 - early '04 motors, and don't really know if that's the case.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut

Thats funny because the truck should run with the icp unpluged, it just goes into a default mode.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
This one is alittle difficult to diag with out being there. Because there are a few things that will make it not start but require a good scan tool that can view PID data (what the sensors are seeing) We really need to know if there is low or no high pressure oil, getting a rpm signal, look at ficm powers. I can go on..... If I were you i'd take it to the dealer and see if they'll help you out if it were my dealer we'd take care of you being only slightly over 100k. Especially if you are a frequent customer there. If they won't take care of you maybe you should have it diag'd only and we can tell you or send you the instructions to repair it yourself, if maybe cheaper than throwing parts at it. And remember unfortunatly the best time to bring it to the dealer is when it won't start, so that would require a tow. Hope this helps a bit.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Well I went ahead and bought the ICP sensor. No problem to change out.

I mentioned a while back where the truck was running rough when it was first started in the morning. Well The truck was cold when I changed the sensor. I cranked it up and it ran smooth like it should. i guess it did something.

I had cranked it earler in the day with the old sensor and it ran rough.

I guess it was worth $161

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts