Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

optimum performance exhaust size

Im about to buy a truck that im gunna pull the 460 out of. Ill have to do exhaust. Its a 460 with a hot cam, edelbrock heads, performer intake, and an edelbrock 750. I want to go big, but not too big. Whats the maximum diameter of pipe, with glasspacks, i should use, so i get lots of flow without sacrificing to much back pressure?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I wouldn't go any bigger than 2.5" pipe for duals.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It really depends on how much power that engine is actually pushin...if it is the 550 you said in the other thread, then yeah, 2.5" duals will be fine...If it's more like a 3-400hp engine, then probably something in the 2-2.25" range. What size gpacks you thinkin??????? Remember, shorter/bigger diameter the louder. I have a vid somewhere around here with my 8" cherry bombs and 2.25" pipes coming from a 30 year old stock 351M.

It really depends on how much power that engine is actually pushin...if it is the 550 you said in the other thread, then yeah, 2.5" duals will be fine...If it's more like a 3-400hp engine, then probably something in the 2-2.25" range. What size gpacks you thinkin??????? Remember, shorter/bigger diameter the louder. I have a vid somewhere around here with my 8" cherry bombs and 2.25" pipes coming from a 30 year old stock 351M.

Its the same motor. Idk yet on the size of the gpack, but im think short enough to shake the snow off the trees in the winter. lol. What I would really like to do is run some quieter gpacks and have cut outs, but im a poor kid workin two jobs, about to get layed off from one, and the other is only good till the end of september, so i dont plan on affording that. Ill prolly end up doing 2.5" with 10 or 12" cherry bombs

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If you have even one cop in your area that'll check to see if you break the allowed decibles from the exhaust, or have one person that'll call the cops on you for waking them up/setting off their car alarm, I'd advise on going no shorter than the 12"ers...that's what I'm running on Red. At cruising speed, they sound mean, yet classy...but at WOT you can hear them for miles around. The 8"ers I have on the Bronco will set off car alarms if I even think about giving her any gas...a little exaggeration...but not far from the truth.

Ill see what my exhaust guy has to say. I know he has an old dent, and i think its a 460. ill see what he runs

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
if its pushing 550 hp like said id go 2.5 in. and nothing else. and go glass packs. my old 82 F100 w/a 302 w/ 2.25 and it was extremely loud. the truck was probably 2x's the loudness of the video. stupid camera phone.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts