Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

So this is the bump thread?

Hi All...I posted in the intro thread and got some very warm, welcoming remarks. Thank you for that. Here's my first nut to crack: The manual steering has lots of play in it and when going around corners it feels like the truck is just going to roll on over on its side. The shocks look pretty old so I know they will have to be replaced. Suspensions are not what I am good at so does anyone have any suggestions for tightening up the steering and giving the truck some stability? Thanks

67 Ford 002.jpg

67 Ford 004.jpg

67 Ford 006.jpg

67 Ford 001.jpg

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
The play in the steering could be tie rod parts or it could be a bad gearbox......have you ever changed the tierods,tie rod ends, etc? Also the rolling over thing, you more than likely need sway bars on it, lack of them will cause massive bodyroll (my truck feels the same way going around curves).

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The play in the steering could be tie rod parts or it could be a bad gearbox......have you ever changed the tierods,tie rod ends, etc? Also the rolling over thing, you more than likely need sway bars on it, lack of them will cause massive bodyroll (my truck feels the same way going around curves).

All good info...I'd also throw in that the shaft itself could be worn too. Best way to check for steering play is...lay under the truck, have a buddy turn the wheel quickly from side to side, and see what moves and has play in it. Do the same thing from the top side to check the shaft.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts