Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My truck is sick

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Some thing weird is happening with my 79, she is running smooth but lost power bug time drinking gas like a gut shot 460 not smoking and also when i'm going highway speeds and this only happens when i'm going between 60 and 70 but at around 60 when I accelerate to 65 or from 65 to 70 I got a horrid per detonation noises, sounds like a monkey is shaking 4 cans of penny's...

I've tuned the carb checked every thing I could think of for a vac ect...
Any ideas?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Damn...you sure you don't have a leak on/in the carb somewhere? Did you hook up a timing light to see if you jumped a tooth or two?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah Tex...I'm really thinking it's timing...a couple degrees, you'd never notice it was running rough, but would lose mpg's, and would explain the detonation too.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I was looking at my Dizzy and I noticed some thing really strange... it looks kinda like my dizzy it slightly wobbling.... but its tight on the engine, I can't get any movement out of it when I grab it and try.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
bent dizzy shaft???????

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Would that make the whole dizzy wobble?

Sure would...had that happen on Red, as a matter of fact, had similar symptoms as what you're having, but then I also had a sputtering problem through the whole rpm range too. But I'd still throw a timing light on there...dropping that many mpg's and detonation still says timing to me.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
HHHMMMMMMMMMM...damn Tex, that's what I thought. How far advanced are we talking?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
you're chitting me right????????

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
The only way I can get it to run... When I dropped the new dizzy, I did the whole find top dead center with a TDC whistle dance and every thing, and at 8 - 9 nothing stubble hack cough *bang out the back Bang! out the carb so I didn't the whole find tdc again lined every thing up same damn thing...

So I said F it with a rusty nail and just started turning the dizzy until I could get it to run, I think its like 13 14.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Oh...I wouldn't say that's too bad Tex...but I would see if you can get it running at about 10*

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Ah Phooy! ok I take that back I think I was pushing like 20+ any ways.
I dropped it down to 10 and retuned the carb.. No power... Ta hell with it, the perdet is gone so i'm just gonna leave it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts