Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'97 5.4L Expedition Question

We have a '97 Expedition 5.4L with 75,000 miles. At about 65,000 miles it developed a miss and was given a major tuneup that included plugs, fuel filters, and one new coil. In October my wife is planning on taking a trip to North Carolina in this vehicle and is concerned with the fact if one coil went bad, when will one or more of the remaining seven rear their ugly side. Is this something that should be addressed before her trip or just go for it?

Thankyou in advance for your advice...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Which coil was it? If #4, there was an issue with the heater hoses directly above it, if they leaked, the antifreeze would short out the coil.

blacksnapon

Staff member
That amount of miles, it isnt uncommon for there to be some kind of electronics failure. I think that if she would have problems from more failures, it would come from availability of parts. You might purchase a couple of them (coils) and just carry them with her. A lot of places just automatically replace a coil with a plug, just because it has to be removed anyway to gain access to the plug.

Rusty Shackleford

Certified Ford Tech
I find those particular coils are hit and miss. Sometimes you can get away with replacing just one, and other times once one fails, they fail one after another. You can never predict a break down, but that's all a part of driving... unfortunately.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts