Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Another for the old timers

blacksnapon

Staff member
The one motor I have ZERO experience with. I'll guess gear driven.

Kep4

Jäger
I have no clue.

Where's Bill?! (BKW) He'll know the exact part number, why it was made that way, how much it would cost and when it was discontinued.

Wasn't it that the water pump itself fed water to the block by hoses, as well as to and from the radiator? Been a long time since I saw one of those but if my memory hasn't gone completely gonzo, the the pump drew from the rad, out a hose to the block, then a hose from the block to the rad?

See? I wasn't too fer off.... And I didn't have pics to cheat with!

I know you took em last week, and I prolly coulda GOOGLED it as WELL. Sicko that I am, I was trying to actually REMEMBER. silly me. :rofl:

And??? sheesh the question isn't THAT old...

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
4 hoses. Each side had a feed to and from the block.

DSCF0831.jpg

DSCF0832.jpg

Can you see them in those pics?

Unfortunately, we have all had cars we wish we had kept. Thats the way it goes......

Uh...I see two completely different flathead engines. Notice the outlets on the heads for the radiator hoses.

Tony: The bumper ends on your 1947 Mercury are worth at minimum $1000.00 for the set of four. Those accessory ends are an extremely tough accessory to find today.

What's unique about the front engine mounts on the flatheads? Notice what they are a part of.

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Bill, you nailed it on the (flat) head. :)
The water pumps are also the front engine mounts.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Bill, you nailed it on the (flat) head. :)
The water pumps are also the front engine mounts.
When I read the question, I knew the answer immediatly, and here's why:

Previous powered by Ford flathead vehicles owned:

1-1936 Lincoln Zephyr V12.

1-1939 Ford Convertible

1-1940 Lincoln V12 Continental Coupe

3-1947 Ford Station Wagons

1-1952 Ford Victoria

1-1952 MG TD

1-1953 Mercury Tudor Sedan

and prolly a few more I've forgotten.

HUH? An MG?

Yes. V8 60's were installed when the cars were new by the MG dealer in Hollywood (Hollywood Sports Cars).

The building originally housed the Stanley Steamer dealership, then it was Franklin Motors of Hollywood. Then it was a bowling alley, and finally MG and Jaguar. Prolly the only car dealership building in the world that first sold Steamers, then Air Cooled Cars, and finally gasoline powered cars.

I pulled a complete 1933 Franklin used left front fender and sidemount, and several Jag neon signs out of the attic of this building 20 years ago. A friend was the GM, he also wrote for Motor Trend. For many years, he owned the prototype of the 1965 Mustang Station Wagon (not built by Ford).

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Hey Bill, you don't by chance have any pictures of that Mustang wagon?
Somewhere I do...where, is another question. The original B&W pics were posted several months ago on t'other site. The car still exists today.

I'll see if I can find the pics, then I'll scan them and post them in the gallery here.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
The Mercury I had was bought new in 47 by Manatee county for the sheriffs dept. It was the Captains car and stayed in his family until 87. In 93 I bought it, and it was still drivable. I had to tear down the tranny and replace the first and reverse cluster shaft. Evidently someone over the years hammered on it alittle too hard and those 95 ponies hit hard.

I kept the car for about 3 years, but never had enough money to properly restore it. I sold it to a local classic car museum who restored it back to when it was a sheriffs car and currently have it on display. I will try to find a picture to post.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts