Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need expert help! Pitman Arm

Storm

Ok.. My dealer as royally pissed me off.. There has to be a better solution!

I let my buddy's at Ford install my lift kit awhile back.. Somehow, someone mentioned how they tore it.. Anyways the boot that is on the bolt for the Pitman Arm drop cracked.. I went back to my buddy and he said the only way to replace that boot is to buy that entire arm.. I'm not spending $$$ on an entire piece that I won't need when the only item I want is the boot.

Does anyone know of an alternative, or where I can get just the boot? I'm afraid that over time it's gonna get dirt up there and eat my bolt away and bam there goes my steering..

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok.. My dealer as royally pissed me off.. There has to be a better solution!

I let my buddy's at Ford install my lift kit awhile back.. Somehow, someone mentioned how they tore it.. Anyways the boot that is on the bolt for the Pitman Arm drop cracked.. I went back to my buddy and he said the only way to replace that boot is to buy that entire arm.. I'm not spending $$$ on an entire piece that I won't need when the only item I want is the boot.

Does anyone know of an alternative, or where I can get just the boot? I'm afraid that over time it's gonna get dirt up there and eat my bolt away and bam there goes my steering..
if you can find an old arm, possibly use the boot off of it.

Storm

Is there anything else? Aftermarket boot.. Anything.. Whats worse case scenario with that boot being cracked.. I just really don't want my steering to go kapoop while I'm on the highway!

blacksnapon

Staff member
keep grease a'plenty in it. It'll be nasty but the constant greasing will "flush" out any contaminates. It does have grease zerts,yes?

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
the boot is not for the pitman arm, its for the drag link. aftermarket companies do make the boots. call your lift manufacturer and see what they offer.

Storm

ahh Draglink.. Pitman arm.. All I know is its the bushing underneath the Pitman Arm drop..

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
If you are speaking of the rubber cup shaped device that fits over the stud on various draglink and tie rod ends, Ford sells them. I don't have a parts catalog after 1991, so I can only give you the basic part number: 3332.

Storm

lift_022.jpg

That boot right there infront of you.. That's the one I need to replace :)

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Looks like your regular tie rod boot. I'm no mechanic though. :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts