Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anybody got a good fix for this?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Since I bought the 72 the speedo has always been messed up. It used to not even work but I messed around with the cable a bit and it started workin. Now the problem is the needle bouces till I get up to 30 then its fine and accurate. Ive dumped some cable lube down the cable from the speedo head and it helped a little but didnt stop it. What do yall think would help it?

emtzach

i get paid to do this
take it out and soak it in pb blaster blow it out let it sit then lube it again if that dont fix it then it really need to be replaced. or use ure gps if ya got one and have it display vehicle speed my garmin is acurate to 1 mph

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Messed with the cable and its still doin it so I found a whole new cluster on ebay for 30 bucks with all the gauges and no idiot lights. Im gonna swap the heads and see if that works. I also wanted to have some spare gauges just in case mine quit. The bezel is also in alot better condition than mine so thatll get swapped.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Already looked there and every other place online and nobody has one for a 4wd f250 with a stick.
No one has any? You sure about that? Uh...see below.
Unless the speedometer cable's housing is crimped, you do not need to buy a complete new cable.

Inside the housing is a woven steel core. Autoparts stores sell a "universal" woven steel core replacement kit.

Buy one a those, cut it to the correct length, install it in the housing.

NOTE: Too little...or no grease at all...will cause the cable to bind up. Too much grease will cause the same thing.

When you replace the woven steel core, put a thin coating of white lithium grease on it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the speedometer cable's housing is crimped...

C7TZ17260AA .. Speedometer Cable Assy / 101.42" long / Obsolete

Fits: 1967/72 F250 4WD.

:wavey: KLIMESH AUTO SALES in Calmar IA has ONE = 563-562-3241. :wave:

No other Ford Dealer, no obsolete parts vendor has any.

Last edited:

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Thanks Bill for the help. I did get another cluster so Ill try swappin the heads out first to see if thatll work if not ill definitly give em a call.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts