Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What do yall think I oughta do

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I bought some white spoke wheels for the 72 with some 33x12.5x16.5 sport kings on em and they rub the tie rod deal that goes from the pitman arm to the drivers side knuckle. It only does it on sharp right hand turns so I dont get all the turn out of the wheel that I need to. Its got manual steering and I dont want to mess with the steering if I dont have to. Do any of ya think that some wheel spacers would work?
Heres where its been rubbin.
008-1.jpg

Heres what the tie rod thing looks like.

007-1.jpg

Spacers would work, I'd imagine. Just remember that exxagerated widths/heights will also increase tire flex, which may be what is causing your issue.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Im goin to have the same size tires when I get my new ones so they wont get any bigger or wider than they are. It will do it every time I try to make a hard right turn like tryin to go around corners of buildings and parkin and stuff like that. Also how wide of spacers should I get?
Chris thats how my 76 was set up too but it had some wierd box on it with a homemade bracket and that had power steering.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
If it isn't causing you to lose too much turning radius, you could adjust the steering stops so the tires no longer rub.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Be aware that using spacers changes the offset on the wheel; this shortens wheel bearing life.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If you push the wheel further out, it's got a longer moment arm and will put more load on the bearings.

Generally, not enough to matter, any more than bigger tires.
Any one remember "Reverse Chrome Wheels"?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
No, but I heard that the romans used to use them on their chariots, old timer. :D

Only thing that was Roman about me was my hands...
And while I didn't ride a chariot, the horses were jealous...

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
If I were you, I'd put it up on jackstands, take the wheel off, turn the steering all the way to lock and then try to hold the tire up to see how much you need.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts