Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Vince, Questions!

Storm

Vince or heck any reputable Diesel Tech :)

I really need to bust these Headstuds and Gaskets... I was going to pay the Ford house to do it but damn they want $2500 in labor..

Is it possible.. To do it in one weekend without pulling the block or the cab? What all would need to be removed.. My buddy and I are seasons mechanics, by far not experts.. But we do know our way around tools.. I'm thinking I could pull it off and pull it right..

I haven't really looked too deep into it.. Biggest concern is, can it be done in 2 days..

blacksnapon

Staff member
there isn't enough room in the rear of the engine compartment to lift the heads high enough to set the heads over the studs, It can be done using stock headbolts, just not head studs.

Storm

I figured that.. I'm talking to Todd and we're thinking a route of me coming up there around Feb and do it.. Take a week vacation..

Storm

I don't have access to that here lol.. I have a feeling Todd and I will just yank that bad boy out.. Gives me a reason to take a week vacation LOL!

Rusty Shackleford

Certified Ford Tech
Couldn't you install the heads, then install the studs, just as you would with bolts? All the head studs that I have seen use a hex key to tighten the stud, so to me it seems possible, yet I have not tried it.

Goose??? Out in the RAIN??? :rofl::rofl: He sure is getting a lot of miles outta that pic, tho... maybe we need to investigate this further. MAYBE he's IN the pic!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Couldn't you install the heads, then install the studs, just as you would with bolts? All the head studs that I have seen use a hex key to tighten the stud, so to me it seems possible, yet I have not tried it.
The ARP Studs have nuts on them and they are too long to be able to get down through even with the heads on. Also, there's no way on God's earth your going to get a big enough torque wrench in on the back nuts!! They get torqued to 275 lb-ft!! It took me (225lbs), my buddy (325lbs) and a three foot torque wrench to do mine!! Of course, we were balancing the engine at the same time. :)

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
It could be done, but would take alot of effort to do so. I could not begin to explain this in words, rather I would have to show you. (MO state moto isn't it?) Probably just as easy to pull the motor or remove the cab.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts