Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

First Battle Scar!! :(

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
My little baby got her first battle scar today. :( I'm bummed!!

So I'm drivin' along minding my own business, ok, seeing what she'd do with the new turbo runnin' about 80, yeah, in a 40, and still accelerating when BOOM! Yep, blew the Hot Side CAC Tube off the Turbo connection.

IT DENTED THE FREAKIN' HOOD!!

Ok, so now the funny part. I was next to the #1 Hole of Tan-Tar-A's Golf Course!! Guys were lookin since she was a rumblin', but she went BOOM and I actually saw two guys dive!! No kidin!! If I was shooting and my gun sounded like that, DAMN. Even my 500 isn't as loud as that boom was.

But now I gotta fix my hood!! And figure out how to keep the Turbo Tubes together!! That's the third time in two days they've blown off!!!!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
make some braces and tig weld them to the tube and bolt it to the intake possibly.
Just ordered $400 worth of 5-ply Aramid reinforced Silicone hosing and some stainless clamps. Enough to put 10" straight couplers in and enough clamps to triple clamp each connection. If that don't hold, then we're considering self tapping screws through the clamps into the tubes!!

Storm

Self Taps.. Tubes.. Bad idea!

:post pics:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Anyone ever hear the ol' saying "Measure Twice, Cut Once"?? It should also say, "Measure Twice, ORDER Once!" I ordered the WRONG size tube dang it!! So, the right one will be here in the morning thanks to UPS Overnight service. :)

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
PICTURES!! Finally!!!!

Ok, finally got pictures to share.

Here's some of the Turbo sitting on my tailgate:

Pro-Street_64_Turbo_Out_Intake_Wide_Angled.jpg

Compressor inlet:

Pro-Street_64_Turbo_Out_Intake.jpg

Compressor Outlet:

Pro-Street_64_Turbo_Out_Compressor_Outlet.jpg

And Finally, Turbine Outlet:

Pro-Street_64_Turbo_Out_Turbine_Outlet.jpg

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Turbo Installed Pictures

And some after installation, sorry, none during installation, we were ready to kill and didn't screw with the camera at that time. :)

Here she is installed without the neck to connect the coupler:

Pro-Street_64_Installed_No_Neck_Distant.jpg

Here she is a bit closer:

Pro-Street_64_Installed_No_Neck_Close-up.jpg

Here is the top Hot Side CAC Tube hooked up with 2.5" HoseTechniques.com 5-ply Aramid Reinforced Silicone in Black and Stainless Clamps:

Pro-Street_64_Installed_Top_CAC_Connected.jpg

Here is the bottom Hot Side CAC Tube hooked up with 3.5" HoseTechniques.com 5-ply Aramid Reinforced Silicone in Cobalt Blue and Stainless Clamps:

Pro-Street_64_Installed_Bottom_CAC_Connected.jpg

Here's what the engine compartment looks like now focused in on the Turbo:

Pro-Street_64_Installed_Engine_Bay_Zoom.jpg

And here's a little wider shot:

Pro-Street_64_Installed_Engine_Bay.jpg

Next thing we're going to do is to make some cuts in the Banks Tube to bend it into shape to fit better. This Turbo mounts about an inch closer to the front than the stock, so the Hot Side CAC is a bit tricky to mount. You can see in the close-up pics of the couplers just how it doesn't quite fit right. After we get that corrected and everything powder coated and pretty, we'll install the Snow Performance Stage III Water/Meth System!! OH YEAH!!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Hey, Bowtie, kind of makes you think about getting a tetanus shot, don't it?
My buddy that helped install the turbo, ok, installed the turbo, told me I now have 15 lbs of crap in a 10 lbs bucket!! Too funny.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I'm with Brian. We want to see the battle scar.
I've been trying to get a picture where you can see it, but I haven't been able to get one where it's clear. I'll try again tomorrow.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Looks like we finally got the Hot Side CAC to stay together. A little cuttin and weldin on the Banks tube and she fits like a glove now!! Tested well too. Passed a WRX on the highway. I don't know how fast I was going, but the guy in the WRX said he was doing 120mph when I went by. That was WOT from standing start. The EGT's peaked at only 1700* too!! Keep in mind, I didn't have either the NOS on or the Water/Meth on, so the EGT's will drop when they're on at the strip!! She showed 35-36psi boost on the stock gauge. I hope to have the new 60psi AutoMeter functional tommorrow, then we'll turn the wastegate off and see where it's really at. Should give me 40-42psi max according to my expert. I'll have to change the cam or get a compound setup to get more boost than that.

Ford Truck Articles