Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tightening gas pedal?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I'll make this short and sweet.Well,short.Ever since I got my truck,my gas pedal has been pretty loose.If any of you make a joke at that,I will find a way to get you back.Anyways,I was wondering if there was any way I could tighten the pedal so there's a little more resistance?It seems like when I gently press the gas,the pedal is all the way down to the floor.On my buddy's old 85 F150,the accelerator seemed to have more resistance than my F100.Reps to those who help,and Negative reps to those who make loose and tight jokes.Thanks ya'll.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'd get a new, stiffer return spring on it.....another one other than the factory one....

If it's as loose as he says (namely- a LOT looser than another, similar truck)...I wonder if the factory return spring is stretched out or broken. A factory replacement might not be too bad.

Overly stiff throttle isn't much fun, either. My Ranger is right at the edge of being too stiff...not too bad once you're used to it, but throws most people the first time they drive the truck.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
If it's as loose as he says (namely- a LOT looser than another, similar truck)...I wonder if the factory return spring is stretched out or broken. A factory replacement might not be too bad.

Overly stiff throttle isn't much fun, either. My Ranger is right at the edge of being too stiff...not too bad once you're used to it, but throws most people the first time they drive the truck.

Oh,it's as if there's barely any resistance.That's why I mentioned my buddy's 85 F150,cause as soon as I jumped in it,there was a BIG difference.There was a difference in my old Ranger too,as well as my mom's car.They're all tighter than the F100.I'll take a look a look at the return spring tomorrow and see if it's overly stretched out.Thanks ya'll.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Most likely it is and you'll need a new one. I think they carry them at the auto parts store. Where' my rep?lol

If it's bad,then i'll probably go and pick one up next week.

Sorry Jr,no reps for you til I give it to everybody else.Besides,you won't stop in Ocala for all of 5 minutes just to say Hi.So no reps for you.:p

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
You can buy the springs at any auto parts store. They even come bubble packed in an assortment so you get exactly the feel you want.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
You can buy the springs at any auto parts store. They even come bubble packed in an assortment so you get exactly the feel you want.

Cool.Thanks Tony.I can use the others in the pack to adjust the pedal in your scout to my liking when I steal it.lol.j/k.

BTW,are the springs something you find in the aisle with all the clips and what not,or are they behind the counter?

Of all the things that get loose and sloppy with time and use, an accelerator pedal is one of the easier ones to fix. :p

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Yea,well i'm not out of your way.Besides,my birthday's Tuesday,which gives you more reason to stop for 2 seconds and say Hi.

Tony isn't important.

LOL!Just kiddin Tony.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Well, in that case Happy Birthday!

Good news is, we all chipped in and got you a stripper.

BAd news is, It's Jr. :eek:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts