Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

72 360 + Duraspark?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Has anybody here done a duraspark conversion on an older FE? If so, would you like to school me on it?

I think I need a duraspark distributor from a mid 70s FE, but thats all I know.

Fellro

Staff member
It is helpful to get the harness as well, but it doesn't have to be engine specific.

My suggestion is the Ignitor conversion. Very popular and affordable. I had a 1970 (now have a 1975) with a 390 that had the original points distributor. The Ignitor conversion took 15 minutes and makes it an electronic ignition immediately. The truck started easier...idled more smoothly...and gained 40 miles per tankful of fuel. If you do a Duraspark conversion (my 75 has its original Duraspark) you'llneed the corresponding Ignition Module. They have differenc color plugs and will be important to the swap..........thus the ease and simplicity of converting points with the Ignitor Kit. Good Luck.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Id go with MSD and a either a distributor from them or one from a 76 with electonic ignition. I put the MSD and Ford distributor on my 72 and it woke it up a ton. Ive also swapped out a Duraspark for MSD and the MSD gives ya more power and ya wont have to worry about the box overheatin like the Duraspark is prone to.

Good suggestions. Mine would be to simply stick with the stock distributor and convert the points to the Ignitor ignition module. It's less expensive than buying, and recurving, a new distributor, and far less hassle than swapping distributors. The conversion took me 15 minutes. The Ignitor, from Pertronix, has been around for A LONG time and I can't count the number of successful conversions I've seen over the years. No ignition module box like a Duraspark. IAs I said in my previous post, the performance gains were significant, AND, I got 40 additional miles to a tankful of fuel. I got nothing against MSD as they too make a good product.

Manimal

California Chapter member
I know this is an older thread,but here are a couple of diagrams for you....one is a FORD module set up running a EFI coil, and the other is using the GM HEI module and EFI coil. Good Luck. I did my '69 w/FORD module and it works flawlessly. I have also done a few GM module swaps and they too work great.

Attachments

• durasparkfinal.jpg
  • HEIwire01.jpg

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Thanks! The 360 is on the backburner right now, but when i get to it, I will have this. Saving the pictures now. Thanks again!

oh, do you have a bigger copy of the pictures?

Fellro

Staff member
I actually still have a wiring diagram I wrote up probably 10-15 years ago to use a GM module in the place of the DS module... I was intending to use the Ford coil and such though, but never really have taken time to actually hook it up... cool to see I am not alone...

pertronix AND duraspark ?

i have pertronix on my 390, works great, i love it. it was definitely an improvement over the points. it was super easy to do, took no time and was affordable. now i'm kinda stuck with trying to mix it with a duraspark by accident...
after a frame off resto i had to upgrade the main wiring harness from a '74 to a '77... i ended up with the DS setup but not the dizzy. my old wiring harness was shot... not trying to threadjack but i'm wondering if can i leave my pertronix in and use it with the DS box? and if so would the black wire just go to any ground? the Pertronix has only 2 wires coming out of it and the DS has 3 going to the dizzy. does it matter which polarity is hooked into the pertronix or does the DS just "sense" the closing of the magnetic field without regard for polarity...?

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
The Ds box has two voltage inputs, the crank power from the switch is full 12 volt, while the run from the switch is knocked down to 9 volts to give longer life of the plugs.

I don't think it would be wise to try to use the DS box to run the pertronics, the Pertronics should be stand alone, since it is used to replace points, which are also stand alone.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts