Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel Injector problem?

I think I read about this issue once before in this forum, but I searched and couldn't find it...

Anyway, my 05 has intermittently had an issue when starting to turn over and semi-fire then continue to turn over without firing. I didn't think much of it because it was so occasional I didn't care. Now it's happening nearly every other start and it's pissing me off. We all know how quick our rigs start when everything's normal and it doesn't take but a key bump to get em going...this problem has me turning the engine over a number of times in order for it to catch and stay running. Sometimes it'll catch and "sputter" on - once on, everything runs great.

I believe it's a leaky fuel injector but not sure. Can someone confirm or deny?

Thanks!

Kevsha

hackin' 'n' whackin'
Is your truck the 5.4 3v? if so you may have a leaking injector. i would day pull the plugs and give them a wiff... but if your truck IS a 5.4 your probably familiar with the dangers of that. as i recall its usually cyl 5 inj that starts leaking, but it could be another one.

the TSB you are thinking of is 5-13-4. unfortunatly i cannot copy and paste the TSB from mitchell-on-demand. try taking your dipstick out and smelling it, also check the level, if it seems as if there is too much oil and it smells like gas, then you have a leaky injector.

I thought all the 5.4 where the 3v in these trucks? I thought the only one that wasnt was the v6. But my truck did it once before but never had the problem again. It happened back in the winter. But a month ago I did have a problem where I was at the gas station just pulled up and shut the truck off and as soon as I shut it off a truck pulled up behind me so I went to start the truck right away to pull forward for him. The truck as soon as it went off I went to crank it over and it stuttered and then ran. It was weird. Never really thought of anything though.

Kevsha

hackin' 'n' whackin'
I thought all the 5.4 where the 3v in these trucks? I thought the only one that wasnt was the v6.

your right all the 5.4L engines in these trucks are 3v, i am justed used to refering to the motor by putting the 3v after it, but these trucks did also cone in a 4.6 2v engine. making the line up the 4.2 ,4.6, 5.4

mSaLL150

California Chapter member
You have a 2005 F150 5.4? You are going to want to get that checked out immediately.

In 2005 Ford tried to save a few bucks by switching suppliers for the injectors, and now their 2005 5.4 3Vs are notorious for having injector failures all over the place. Many have had new engines on Ford's tab because of the injectors getting stuck open and burning the cylinder wall or hydro locking the engine, it is a known issue.

you should have gotten a letter from Ford about the 05 injectors.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/383843-motor-locked-up-51k-miles.html

http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/373606-uh-oh-p0175-part-2-whos-next.html

http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/374437-transplant-complete.html

Hope this helps.

Ya now that I think about it my exgirlfriend had a 05 f150 xlt with the 5.4 and it had about 25000 miles on it. We were heading up north just got on the freeway and it started to make a weird noise and then the check engine light came on. Got out looked the truck over couldnt find anything wrong. Got back in the truck drove down the freeway and it got worse. Well the are local dealer she bought it from was like 8 miles away so we decided to take it in. Got off the freeway and got a mile away and there was a stop light. We were stopped and it was running really rough and looked out the passanger mirror and noticed there was black smoke pouring out the exhaust at idle. I hit the gas it had no power and more smoke came out. Pulled in the dealer and got it in the shop. They gave us a rental and they called us 5 minutes later and said that truck wouldnt start anymore. Found out the injectors went.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts