Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

idles rough.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
I got one for you.

When it first started doing this it was while it was warming up. Now it does it all the time.

While idling in gear the rpms like to drop to 500 (supossed to be what 650 idle?) and sometime below that. It will start to drop a couple of times. Then just flat out die.

I think its a my Throttle positioning sensor.

Or it could be this. Once upon a time i blew the heater/cooland hose that runs coolant through my throttle body off. So i replaced it and bipassed the throttle body all together.

i have a 1996 f150 XLT 302 (5.0) with 117000 miles.

Let me know,

Thanks,
Anthony

Ps. it isn ta major problem, just curious to what it is.

Rusty Shackleford

Certified Ford Tech
Knowing if there were any codes might help. I'm a little rusty where gasoline engines are concerned, but I do recall TP sensors being an issue on 5.0s and also intake gasket leaks were quite common too.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
it wont pull a code while its doing this.

It will tho while im driving down the road for no apparent reason.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
if this helps any. Im missing one cattilac converter, and i have a blown out glass pack, It backfired one day and blew all the glass out.

blacksnapon

Staff member
definately hook up the hose. Thats how it knows how warm the engine is. We have replaced a lot of isc motors as well. Those are sensitive to vacuum leaks as well.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
alright will do.

would the sparratic dieing haft to with my tranny going out. As it likes to pop in and out of gear.

And does Brake fluid really swell up the seals. FOr a very temporary fix.?

blacksnapon

Staff member
alright will do.

would the sparratic dieing haft to with my tranny going out. As it likes to pop in and out of gear.

And does Brake fluid really swell up the seals. FOr a very temporary fix.?
be careful with the brake fluid, its also a pretty good solvent.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
it cant be any worse than the prank pulled on my hood.

I work at BK (make it your way) And my boss decided it would be hilarous to spread mayo on my hood. Well i made him wash it off. It didnt seem to have any residue. Next day went mudding and guess what there wa sa grease mark on it. And there is a now very permanet (since jan) dirt mark on my hood...

And i cant get it all off. a bit comes off everyonce in a blue moon.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts