Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Window Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wifes '02 Exploder XLT rear passenger side window has become manual. The switch is working, I can tell by the grinding noises inside the door. Poped the panel and pulled the weather sheeting to get the glass up and put some West Virginia Chrome around the edges to hold it shut until I can work on it some more.

It's pushing the hundreds (temp AND humity) so I'm not real motivated to wedge my polish sausage fingers inside the door anytime soon. But that is the grandson's chair, and he's the boss, so I better get crackin'

Any guesses as to what parts I need to order/buy? Any suggestions on techniques for performing this repair? Like I said the switch works and it sounds like something plastic is being ground to a pulp. The window glass slides up and down quite easily. Since motorcycles don't have windows, I don't have a lot of experience in this department.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
probably is the little plastic spacer washer things...pull the motor out(you'll have to grind rivets) pull the cover off where the drive gear is pull the little plastic things out take the motor into the hardware store with you...you'll need six metal nuts two stacked making three sets...they'll fit in where the plastic things where..this will fix your problem..did that make sense?lol

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I believe Brad (Blue Goose) replaced both front window motors, in his explorer (well.. I guess it's his wifes. 'badachang') so maybe he can give you some pointers on where to start..

Thanks JR. Makes more sense than the rant I just about MJ:rolling laugh: sorry couldn't help it.

Replacing plastic parts with metal ones seems a little counterintuitive (wow, that's a big word for a redneck). If the plastic thingies are the symptom, wouldn't the metal nuts just move the symptom further up stream to a potentially more expensive breaking point, like the motor?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
No the plastic thingies are the genius (sarcasm there) of the whole window motor design. the were put in to theoretically prevent kids from getting choked to death with the assumption that the plastic would give enough to save a child or dog's life if that being impulsed the switch in some way....a naive safety measure.....the metal fixes the problem and your window will work 5 times better....

Cool, I'll give it try over the weekend, right after I ice down some cold ones. thanks again.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
No the plastic thingies are the genius (sarcasm there) of the whole window motor design. the were put in to theoretically prevent kids from getting choked to death with the assumption that the plastic would give enough to save a child or dog's life if that being impulsed the switch in some way....a naive safety measure.....the metal fixes the problem and your window will work 5 times better....

Like the time I reached out the car window to get the mail.. and put my knee on the switch. :wasntme: (I was about 7 or 8) I got it off in time to keep from choking me.. but still had my head pinned :rolling laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts