Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Got my intake!

Check this baby out!

Its a 1983 Boss Mustang overseas racing intake.smilieFordlogo

I guess I'm gonna plop a cam, this, my 'brock 600, and some shortys on the ole 302 and make her go :D

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Excellent... That's a sweet part.

Ryan

SC
If its an actual Boss 302 (as in 69-70 style) intake it wont fit your small block 302. If its something different then youve taught me something today which I really enjoy....especially concerning Boss stuff.

regardless its a dual plane intake which is great for low rpm throttle response but not intended for high rpm which puzzles me. Racing is generally high rpm single plane territory but the ZE in the part number is deffinately a call sign for a race intake.

Very interesting. Id really like to know more about this thing in a total non-a hole type way.

Yea looks kinda sexy right there next to the teakettle...

Lmao...:rolling laugh:

If its an actual Boss 302 (as in 69-70 style) intake it wont fit your small block 302. If its something different then youve taught me something today which I really enjoy....especially concerning Boss stuff.

regardless its a dual plane intake which is great for low rpm throttle response but not intended for high rpm which puzzles me. Racing is generally high rpm single plane territory but the ZE in the part number is deffinately a call sign for a race intake.

Very interesting. Id really like to know more about this thing in a total non-a hole type way.

I really don't know much about it either, aside from the obvious stuff from the part#. That being said, I'd like to know more about it as well.

As far as it being a dual plane, the RF in the part number stand for: R= Rotunda, F=outside of U.S. T\A racing. So I suppose if it was for trans am stuff the lower rpm throttle response would make sense..?

Gabe

SC
So you dont know if its a 289/302 intake or a Boss 302 intake? Boss engines used 302 blocks with 351 cleveland heads. This needed a special boss 302 specific intake and are not interchangeable with 289/302 intakes.

Trans am racing is simalar to our Nascar road courses today. In and out of the throttle at numerous different rpm bands. Bone stock true trans am Boss 302 motors (pretty much completely different motors from production Boss 302s) would spin 10,000rpm all day long and were really nasty. My stock Boss 302 isnt happy unless its around 7000 and bouncing off the 8000rpm rev limiter. Up to 3000rpm the motor is absolutely guttless.

Its deffinately an interesting part and a very good find. Youve got me puzzled on this one.

Last edited:
SC
just a stab in the dark but Im thinking it means racing outside the US "overseas"

'badachang'

SC
hahahahahaha.

another idea could be this intake was intended for saltwater boat motors and intended to run....."over seas"

'badachang'

lmao, yup gonna have to agree with Kris on that one there Tex :D

Let me go ahead and post what I've been told the # indicates:

R= Rotunda
F= Outside of Us T\A racing
-
E= 198?
3= ???3
Z= Ford Mustang-Boss
E= Engine part
-
9425= Aluminum racing intake
-
F= Ford Racing
D= Overseas product engineering.

Thats pretty much what I know. I suppose I could measure the bolt holes...

SC
Boss stuff can have a Z or X but your numbers/letters are correct.

Measure the width. Just from looks its mighty narrow.

Allrighty, Its almost exactly 9" wide. I guess now I need to go measure mine...

SC
^^^ yeah I think it would....but then it wont work on those "over seas" boat motors

FTF'er
Just be glad it's not an under seas intake manifold. Your seat would get wet.

FTF'er

I don't know much about motors, but a Google search indicates that RF-E3ZE-9425-FD was used on 83-85 Mustangs. It has smaller than normal/common ports according to one claim.

SC
^^^ I dont know why I didnt think of that sooner.

Yeah, thats what Im reading as well. Small port standard 302 intake. Good for low rpm torque.

Ford Truck Articles