Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2000 Mountaineer

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
(camera phone pics, sorry)
0617091602.jpg

0617091602a.jpg

The stuff that isn't on there isn't even smashed up too bad. I will probably just put it all back together. The bumper is no good, though. I will just go custom, tube of some kind. The rear door is tweaked and the glass is gone, might be able to get it bent back into decent enough shape.

It has 120K miles, drives perfectly straight and smooth. All the damage was cosmetic. Its loaded, sunroof, all the fancy gadgets, leather. everything. I think I did OK. :D

What do you think?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I had a 93 explorer that was planned for that, but I found this one instead. Its got a 302 vs. the crappy 4.0 in the other one, and besides a few body panels, is in way better shape. only paid 1000 for this one.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
compared to a 4.0, anyway. :D

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Chris' tax dollars FTW! :) Its getting down there, though. The joy ride is about over... Time to go to Afghanistan! woo hoo!

I am not sure yet. Leafs would be easy. Coils and radius arms probably better in the long run.

This does change my 9" plans, though. As the explorer has an 8.8 with the sensor in the dif for the computer, I wont use a 9" I will more than likely end up with a 8.8 out of an F150 and put my disc brakes from the Mounty on it.

Also need to swap in a manual transfer case, it has an AWD unit in there now.

So, anyone need a Detroit locker and 4.56 gears/install kit for a 9"? Gears are brand new and Detroit has 200 miles on it.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Thats an option too. Like I said, many options. :) Instead of rushing to get it done by winter, I might have to gather parts and build up the axles over winter, taking my time to do everything right and then put it together.

Or I can let it end up like your D60... :D

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
Thats an option too. Like I said, many options. :) Instead of rushing to get it done by winter, I might have to gather parts and build up the axles over winter, taking my time to do everything right and then put it together.

Or I can let it end up like your D60... :D

f your a with a big D

I thought explorers of that era were 8.8's with disc breaks :confused:

they do, but the full width front hpd44 would look kind of funny with an explorer width 8.8 :)

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Thanks Paul. but, I just lost the chance of responding to Chris in an overtly rude and sarcastic manner. :D

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
The 5.0l explorers are pretty sweet...
I noticed it already. I took it up and down a few country roads and the power of the 5.0 compared to the 4.0 is like night and day.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Got it home last night. Interesting drive without headlights. :)

I put it back together and this is what I ended up with:

S1052243.jpg

S1052244.jpg

Not as bad as I thought. I will need a new headlight/turn signal for the drivers side. The housing is ok for the headlight, but all the mounting locations are broken. I could just tape it in and be fine. :) I think this is a good opportunity to go with fiberglass fenders. I will straighten this one out and run it for a while. Its not too bad.

As for the passengers rear door, turns out the glass was fine, I just couldnt see it from the plastic inside and assumed it was gone. I have an Uncle that is a wizard when it comes to autobody, he has all the pulling tools and everything. I am gonna see what he can do. Other than those two spots, the thing is in pretty immaculate condition.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts