Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

She lives!

Well...I stayed off the pain meds as long as I could stand today. The power brakes work! Anyway, we bled them again and so far there does not appear to be any leaks.

I ended up taking another pain pill this afternoon so I could eat something. I didn't drive her on the road (not safe to do). I just drove her around in the yard.

Dad did the honors today on the road. The power brakes work real well. He locked them up once. Can you say OOPS! :rolling laugh: :rofl:

She needs a lot of little stuff before a long trip, but the brakes were main one I was worried about.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
but the brakes were main one I was worried about.
What for? Funny I go through a set of tires in 15000 miles, but the brakes seem to last forever! Weird, huh? ROFL

Congrats Brian, I know you'll have her roadworthy for the journey.

What for? Funny I go through a set of tires in 15000 miles, but the brakes seem to last forever! Weird, huh? ROFL

Congrats Brian, I know you'll have her roadworthy for the journey.

No....thats not weird. In racing you spin the tires a lot and don't use the brakes very much (or so I am told). :rofl:

Yeah..I just have to shake these meds and get busy. It is only a few days away.

Congrats Brian!!! Can't wait to see it...

Yeah... Todd's whole life is like Drag Racing... A lot of smoke, a lot of spinning tires, and a lot of giving up after a quarter mile...

I am hoping to put the new blinker lenses, wiper arms, and some other things on her in the morning. I need to put the tags and insurance papers in/on her too. I need to add and in-line fuel filter.

Trying to think of what else has to be done.........

I might drive the "loop" to see if I have any major problems that need fixed before I take off next Saturday in her.

I think Nerak knows what I am talking about. It is about 40 miles around through lakeview, bull shoals, flippin, cotter, gassville, and back to midway. My truck is at mom and dads for those who didn't know. LOL

I wish I had all this done a few weeks ago. I wanted to get some drive time in to see if she was going to be trustworthy. :(

I didn't get my sway bars (guy has not been up here) and I didn't get my new mirrors. They will wait until later. I am more concerned with mechanical right now.

Great Job Brian! And on a SATURDAY, too!
how are the TIRES? that would be my first concern for any trip. That and the steering components all up to snuff. We KNOW the brakes are good ;)
So when ya comin up?

Thanks guys. I have had a bad morning, but I am heading out as soon as I get some liquids in me (still can't eat real food). :(

The tires were the old bias plys (horribly weather cracked) when I got her. I tried to drive it once...30 was a nightmare. Death wobble!!!!

I got some used radials and 60 was no problem. If I was going to drive her a lot, she would need new tires before to long, but they are fine for now. I don't need to be in an accident.

The steering is tight. Even the steering box is. Usually those are shot. It does have a leak though. I cleaned and filled it with new gear lube. I am trying to find the leak and see just how much it is leaking.

OK...going to find something to drink then go play. YelloThumbUp

New front turn signal lenses are in. New windshield wiper arms are on. Everything is greased underneath (that dad can find). There are two coats of primer on the back side of my spare wheel (tape does not stick to tires very well).

It need the tags put on, the inline fuel filter installed, a bath, the windows washed, and vacuum the inside.

I still need to mount the tailgate too. I have rain X got the window.

Break time. I am getting too hot.

I think we will go for a drive after that.

Tags are on. Fuel filter is on. Lost its prime and ran the battery down trying to get it started. :( The charger is on it now.

The back side of the spare is painted and drying.

My jaw is hurting pretty bad. I don't know how much longer I can take this without pain meds. If I do that though...I can't go for a drive later. :headbang:

87 percent..we will see...

Last edited:
Any time you want to paint a wheel and not get paint on the tire, apply a liberal coating of petroleum jelly to the rubber first. leave it stand on there while you paint, and after the paint has set, wipe off the jelly. Any jelly left on the rubber is actually good for it, anyhow, and no paint gets on the rubber!

Good tip.

This is just the spare. The wheel is pretty rough. The trim ring will hide the outside edge and if I ever get another cap it will hide the middle.

Someday...they all need to be media blasted and powder coated. LOL

Anyway, the front side of the wheel is primed.

The truck has more gas and the battery is fully charged. It starts fine now.

We topped off the trasmission gear lube. It was a little low.

Dad is changing clothes and I am cooling off. We have a box of supplies (oil, brake fluid, etc.) in the back and will go on a test drive later.

Well....she drives out nice. She starts fine when she is hot too.

We stopped at O'reilly and picked up a heater valve to go in the line. The water circulates through the heater all the time. :headbang: The fan is just not on.

As long as the truck is moving the heat is not bad at all. I love the wing glasses and the cowl vent. When you stop in traffic through it gets hot in the cab!!!!

Next on the list is changing the thermostat, flushing the system, and new antifreeze. I will go shopping tomorrow. I was not thinking about that when we were in town.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Dont know if you would want to or not, there are outfits that can put add on a/c in. Some types look almost like they would be original. That would be somewhat a compromise original/not original, but it would be more pleasant to drive!

I know. I can put power steering and AC in. Maybe someday. Not now though. They cost $$$$ that I don't have.

I needed power brakes with my health issues. They are under the floor, so it looks stock under the hood and in the cab. The only thing you can see under the hood is a vacuum line.

I know that sound stupid (health issues?), but I had a really hard time making her stop before. I do not have a lot of strength in my legs. Steering is not bad at all once you are used to it. That's why they have huge steering wheels.

It really was not that hot out on the road. I don't like in town driving anyway so......

I feel like a truck driver with the big steering wheel! :nana:

I picked up a thermostat and new radiator cap today. I have flushed out the system (even the block drain valves). There was a lot of gunk in it. I then added water and this stuff for flushing the radiator. Started it and let it get nice and warm. She is cooling down now.

I will drain her when she cools off. Then fill it with water again and start over.

Probably tomorrow night (after dialysis-if I can) I will install the thermostat and the anti-freeze.

I am out of time. :(

EDIT: Drained it again. Flushed the block and radiator with the water hose. Filled with water and let it run another 20 minutes or so. I will drain it tomorrow night and put the new stuff in.

I am picking up a set of points and condenser tomorrow after dialysis, if I can find them locally.

Wednesday I need to work on the tailgate and get it mounted.

Wednesday evening is truck cleaning time. That will take a while

Thursday after dialysis is last minute checks and packing.

Friday night is dialysis again.

Last edited:
You're a lucky man.... Can't get my dad to leave the HOUSE for my sake, lol... then again, he IS 2000 miles away and 76.

Mine parents live at Midway. That is about 10 miles from my house. I stay out here a lot. Right now with the pulled teeth, pain meds, and working on the truck every night....I am just staying here.

Tonight was kind of a wash as far as the truck goes. I had to order the points and condenser, so we could not put those in.

When I recovered after dialysis tonight (about 6 PM) the hardware stores were closed.

I will get the points tomorrow as well as the other hardware we need.

Dad will make some brackets to mount my guages tomorrow at work. They will be mounted below the factory guage cluster and we won't drill holes in the dash. YelloThumbUp

I need to work on the tailgate if I can tomorrow too. Then get it mounted.

The thermostat is not in. We didn't have the right bolts and the hardware stores were closed. Everthing else is on and ready for anti-freeze.

I am out of time as far as cleaning. I have dialysis Thursday during the day and Friday at night. I guess I will drive it up as is. :redface:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts