Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A/C Guroos, Need Help.

This is on the '90 dually...
This thing has sat along time without any attention to the a/c system. I bought a retro kit to convert the R12 over to 134a which included the 134a compatable oil and the fittings for the schrader valves.
I evac'd the system, send the oil in, and charged it up. Long story short, it ran cold for awhile then stopped. The line on the back side of the orface was still ice cold while the other side became hot. I.E. blockage.
I figured I'd replace the dryer and orface and flush the system, add new oil and refrigerant and go from there.

First, when I pulled the compressor, to drain the old mineral oil out, it seemed pretty dry. Then when I popped the line to get to the orface I ended up with a load of what looks like dried up oil junk (looks like carbon deposits).

Questions:
-The old orface doesn't want to come out of the tube, any tricks?
-what is the oil capacity of the sytem?
-any other .02 would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I got the ORIFICE out, which required a drill. Didn't harm the tube housing though. Total system flush, new dryer/orifice, O-rings, and 8 oz. of ester oil. The compressor seems to be in good shape, so the next step is to evac and charge w/134a. Wish me luck..

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
This is on the '90 dually...
This thing has sat along time without any attention to the a/c system. I bought a retro kit to convert the R12 over to 134a which included the 134a compatable oil and the fittings for the schrader valves.
I evac'd the system, send the oil in, and charged it up. Long story short, it ran cold for awhile then stopped. The line on the back side of the orface was still ice cold while the other side became hot. I.E. blockage.
I figured I'd replace the dryer and orface and flush the system, add new oil and refrigerant and go from there.

First, when I pulled the compressor, to drain the old mineral oil out, it seemed pretty dry. Then when I popped the line to get to the orface I ended up with a load of what looks like dried up oil junk (looks like carbon deposits).

Questions:
-The old orface doesn't want to come out of the tube, any tricks?
-what is the oil capacity of the sytem?
-any other .02 would be greatly appreciated.

Changing the dryer is a good idea, the desiccant bag may have ruptured.

Changing the dryer is a good idea, the desiccant bag may have ruptured.

Thanks, It may have, there was alot of crap that I blew out with the air hose (no metalic stuff though). Thinking I might have a compressor issue now, the low side keeps wanting to go over 30, and the high side pressure is running low (under 150).
With the compressor out of the truck, spinning it by hand, with fingers over the intake outtake ports you should feel suction/pressure right? It felt smooth, but I couldn't detect much or any air movement.

Ok, I got it to take 3-12oz. cans of 134 (presure 38/low, 270/high).Starting to blow cold, does anyone know how much this system holds?
'90 F350 CC, 460, auto.

Either I don't have enough in the system, or I have a bad low pressure switch. Works fine with the jumper wire, but doesn't even short cycle when plugged in.

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just learning this crap.;)

Last edited:
Got it, bad switch, takes 3.25 cans of 134a. Blasting cold air now....
(I just realized I posted this in the wrong section, lol).

Thanks for the reply, Bob!:beer:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts