Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Factory 302 Roller specs

What are the factory cam specs for a 302 roller cam???I need something to compare to....Thanks.

For what motor?

A Mustang HO?
A Mustang Cobra?
An Explorer 5.0?
A pre '94 truck 5.0?
A post '94 truck 5.0?

So the stock cam in your truck is actually the same as the Explorer cam and is commonly referred to as the F4TE cam. It's not bad for a 5.0 truck motor with 186/197 deg duration at 50 thou and 256/266 deg advertised duration. Cam lift is 0.264"/0.280", multiply that by the common rocker arm ratios available for these motors and you get 0.422"/0.448" lift at the valve with 1.6 rockers and 0.448"/0.476" lift with 1.7 rockers.

Is your truck mass air? If so you have a LOT of choices for a replacement, just depends what your goals are.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
yes it is mass air and I've got a bigger TB just don't wanna run into PV clearance issues

EDIT: how do you do the math with the lift and rockers?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
alright how bout from 1.6 to 1.7 since the majority of cams I've looked at state the lift in the 1.6 ratio?Also....how high with the lift do you think I can go without clearance issues?

With a truck friendly cam P-V clearance isn't a problem, but valve spring coil bind is so you want to keep total lift below about 0.520" with the stock springs. With aftermarket springs that problem goes away too but it's not really buying you any additional performance since the heads don't flow any better above 0.500" lift. So 1.7 rockes are a good idea with the stock cam but not needed with most aftermarket cams.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
but conanski.. he can get whatever cam he wants.. like the for example the Comp XE264 cam or the one i have 351-351-8comp cam. and make it a custom cam and lower the lift to where he wants ,

thats what i did.. i took the 35-351-8 cam and lowered the LSA the custom cam is not more expensive

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
what about this Isky cam I'm looking at .252/.257 advertised duration and .465/.480 lift...with the 1.7 rr's it'll bump me to .493/.510 lift????Think you could throw it on ur desktop dyno for me right quick?Mine took a dump and not working.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
wow.. an Ho cam uses 266 of duration... im not at home right now when i get home tonight i can do it for u no prob

desktop dyno's are'nt even close!a comp xe270hr14 works well with the factory fuel inj on these trucks.the spec's are [email protected],lift is .512-.512,and the ls is 114(which helps keep the idle from being to radical).you'll need a good converter to go with it!and by the way a stock mustang ho roller cam works good but advance it a couple degrees to move the powerband down to help get that heavy truck moving.as for the 1.7's,that was one of my first mod's years ago when my truck had the factory engine.they slowed it down over a tenth in the 1/8.truck ran consistent 9.90's with 1.7's and consistent 9.80's with the stock 1.6's.the 1.7's worked better after i added the nitrous though.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
desktop dyno's are'nt even close!a comp xe270hr14 works well with the factory fuel inj on these trucks.the spec's are [email protected],lift is .512-.512,and the ls is 114(which helps keep the idle from being to radical).you'll need a good converter to go with it!and by the way a stock mustang ho roller cam works good but advance it a couple degrees to move the powerband down to help get that heavy truck moving.as for the 1.7's,that was one of my first mod's years ago when my truck had the factory engine.they slowed it down over a tenth in the 1/8.truck ran consistent 9.90's with 1.7's and consistent 9.80's with the stock 1.6's.the 1.7's worked better after i added the nitrous though.

thats the cam i have.. i just lowered the LSA to 110 becuase i have a carb.. since he has 1.7 rockers he can just lower the lift about 0.490 and use the other specs of the cam

That Isky cam is another good option or as Jergen has pointed you could have a custom grind made. You can't mix flat tappet and roller cam parts, but you could run a flat tappet cam in your motor with flat tappet lifters and longer pusrods, no problem there. The upside is that FT cams are dirt cheap compared to a roller, but they require a breakin proceedure where a roller does not.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts