Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Heads

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
your truck should have E7TE heads.....the E stands for 8 the 7 is the second number in the year so 87.Which means 87 was the first years for that casting.You've got more than a few options when it comes to head swaps but at any rate the name of the game is flow and efficiency.....IE bigger valves and smooth chambers/runners.A good upgrade for you would be GT40 heads...NOT GT40P.The P style heads came on exploders and finding headers for them is a royal PITA.The Standard GT heads came with 1.65 Inatkes valves and 1.90 Exhaust IIRC.The heads you've currently got can be made to flow better than a GT40....If you can get ahold of of CountryBoy116 he's got a set of ported and polished E7TE heads......maybe get em shipped I think he was only askin 300 bucks for the heads and 1.6 roller rockers......heads have been fully gone through and rebuilt and never installed.He's here in Florida.....any more questions give a holler.

FTF'er
I think he was only askin 300 bucks for the heads and 1.6 roller rockers......heads have been fully gone through and rebuilt and never installed.
Hmmm, that seems like a sweet deal!

The early 5.0 Explorers had GT-40 heads, and the later had GT-40P.

I would go find some GT-40 cylinder heads and have them cleaned up some. GT-40P heads are not worth the trouble you'll have making the headers fit properly.

Some info:

GT-40 Average Flow:
INTAKE: 138.6 CFM. Valve size: 1.84
EXHAUST: 103.2 CFM. Valve size: 1.54
Combustion Chamber sizes (CC): 60-63 (93-95 Cobra) or 63-66 (96-97 Explorer)

GT-40P Average Flow:
INTAKE: 149.2 CFM. Valve size: 1.84
EXHAUST: 107 CFM. Valve size: 1.46
Combustion Chamber sizes (CC): 58-61 (97-00 Explorer)

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
yes the cc is the combustion chamber volume...there is such thing as too much flow hurting your engine as well, unless you get a nice a camshaft to compliment the heads.

GT40 heads and either some 1.7 rockers or a cam swap will really wake up that motor. Unfortunately that's about all you can do without computer and fuel system upgrades.. it's really easy to make a 5.8 breath more than the stock system can handle. There's no mention in your sig but what gearing does your truck have? Anything less than 4.10's with those tires will be pretty sluggish and will accelerate transmission wear, particularly once you start freeing up the motor.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
i can recomend some great winsor heads if you can fork over a little money. i just replaced both heads on my 84 bronco, with a pair of world castings. they used to be roush heads but world owns them now. i got them bare and built them up but the specs on them are 200cc runners, 64cc combustion chambers, 2.02 intake valves, 1.60 exhahust, and so smooth you think you were looking at aluminum heads. even with a ford racing gasket set, no gasket matching was needed to open them up some. summit has them complete for like 400 bucks. take my word, everyone that looked at these cast iron heads were very impressed in the quality and fit-n-finish.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
yes the cc is the combustion chamber volume...there is such thing as too much flow hurting your engine as well, unless you get a nice a camshaft to compliment the heads.

there would be cam upgrade with the heads as well....

GT40 heads and either some 1.7 rockers or a cam swap will really wake up that motor. Unfortunately that's about all you can do without computer and fuel system upgrades.. it's really easy to make a 5.8 breath more than the stock system can handle. There's no mention in your sig but what gearing does your truck have? Anything less than 4.10's with those tires will be pretty sluggish and will accelerate transmission wear, particularly once you start freeing up the motor.
I have 4.10 gears... 4.56 is planned for the future...

i can recomend some great winsor heads if you can fork over a little money. i just replaced both heads on my 84 bronco, with a pair of world castings. they used to be roush heads but world owns them now. i got them bare and built them up but the specs on them are 200cc runners, 64cc combustion chambers, 2.02 intake valves, 1.60 exhahust, and so smooth you think you were looking at aluminum heads. even with a ford racing gasket set, no gasket matching was needed to open them up some. summit has them complete for like 400 bucks. take my word, everyone that looked at these cast iron heads were very impressed in the quality and fit-n-finish.

Yea i was looking around at some different heads, getting different prices.

There are some aluminum heads on ebay for 600 ish....

would a MAF upgrade be a good idea before heads?

I'm building a 5.8 motor too and have a set of Dart iron eagles for them. I selected these over aluminum heads because they're cheaper, perform just as well, and are a little more abuse tolerant which is a good thing in a truck motor. Additionally I'm not concerned about saving weight on the motor, and can do without adding to the coorision problem between dissimilar metals and coolant with yet more aluminum.

Last edited:
so what about a 190cc or 210 cc is that the combustion chamber?
i was lookin through ebay and saw several sets of aluminum heads for 600ish...

No it not the chamber size it's the intake runner volume... go with the 190 unless you plane to spin it to the moon... and try and find a set that has 1.94 intake valves, hard to find on Ebay. from what I have read the flow increase with the larger valve is not much, you would be better off with the smaller valve and port runner for the velocity= more toque..

just me two cents

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts